Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Help buying first Mountain Bike - $700 budget

Hey guys,

Iím looking for my first serious mountain bike. I currently have the $100 special from Canadian Tire and itís terrible. My budget is up to $700 , Iím from Canada but willing to buy from USA if its better for me. BTW I'm 5'9" 170lbs

Iím considering brand new and used bikes as well. I just donít want to get duped buying a used bike.

I donít have much experience with mountain biking, but there are some trails around here I would like to begin using. I don't plan on doing stunts or crazy jumps, just fast paced air gliding. I also like traveling up north in the wilderness and want to start hitting the trails up there. That means 30+km trails and wildlife like moose and bears, so I really want something reliable.

Some pictures of local places. The picture with the fall colors is up north where I plan on trekking, and reliability the biggest priority.

Thanks
    Last edited by mrmountyman; 03-08-2015 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I look for a bike with a fork with rebound damping. In 2014 Suntour 'X' forks added HLO hydraulic lockout to some models, those also have rebound damping using the sealed cartridge for the lockout. Before that none.
    A 29 hardtail new or used.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Find out if your city supports a used bike shop or co-op. That'll let you ride a few bikes back-to-back but also stretch your dollar.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks

Im gonna check out some bike shops come Monday, May up the budget a bit too. Don't really want to go past 700 but if it's gonna last me years just like a car why cheap out then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Lots of good entry level bikes out there. When I compared and shopped last year, the Airborne bikes were the best bang for the buck. They are very good bikes and you will get better components for your money than any other brand, except maybe bikes direct. I was not impressed with a bikes direct overall quality and design. But that was a limited sampling. All the Airborne models are excellent designs and quality. If you find a good discount at a local shop (its the right time of year, but ending soon) you can get a similar bike for close money. I bought an Airborne Seeker because I am a big guy, 245lbs, and wanted an air fork. I love seeker and really am pleased with my choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Being in Canada sorta complicate the OP's online options from Airborne and BD. It can be done.
    Pinkbike has used listings including Canadian sellers.

mtbr member
    Does your budget include the purchase of a new helmet, water carrying device of some kind, and a pump?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    not to be pushy about Airborne, I don't work for them, but there was a post in the Airborne forum from a Canadian who ordered from them. They had some arrangement which made it pretty easy to buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Does your budget include the purchase of a new helmet, water carrying device of some kind, and a pump?
    $700 budget for the bike alone. I've bought the hitch for the car and bike rack already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Have you checked your local used market at all?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've briefly checked kijiji on local places. I'm from London, (350k) people, have briefly checked Toronto (2+ million) people, but I feel overwhelmed with what bike to actually search for. It seems there are so many brands, models available. I need to pick a few models and search from there

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If it's like Craiglslist, filter by price (set maybe 900 for a max and figure there might be some haggle room) then sort high to low. That'll should help limit how much stuff you have to sort through.

Feel free to post a link to your local pages, or if any particular bikes look potentially promising to you.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member

Help buying first Mountain Bike - $700 budget

Airborne would be a decent choice, but buying anything south of the border at the moment means you'll get hammered on the exchange rate, plus shipping, plus customs fees. Once you factor all of that in, you'll probably do just as well in London or Toronto.

Check some of the Rocky Mountain or Marin models. They seem stout and should be a great first serious bike. I still have a 12-year old RM Fusion which refuses to quit.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Gary
    2015 Marin Nail Trail 9.6
    2003 Rocky Mountain Fusion (winter beater)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think a used one is probably your best bet. Check with used bike places online like craigslist. 700 is hard price to get a reliable new bike. Trail ready is what. Mean. If u spend that for a used one u can get a real nice used one. Find a friend who can go take a look with u that is experienced with bikes to help u weed out the bad deals

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check out classifieds, I don't know anyone who's knowledgable about bikes though, I can search and get your guys opinion but ultimately you'd need a thorough test drive right

ive been buying lots of stuff from the USA as of late, just get it shipped for free to Michigan and drive over the border, pick it up. Haven't paid any duties or tax yet but I've also never spent 5-700 either,

I would prefer something new... And shopping in the us gives me much more options, even if it is a bit more expensive for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    https://annarbor.craigslist.org/bid/4889980898.html
    Here's one.

The Airborne Guardian is currently out of stock until late April. That was 675 shipped. Restock will be black and white.
    https://www.facebook.com/Airborne.bi...type=1&theater

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hey guys,

I just got back from a local bike shop and sat on a Giant Talon 4($589), rockhopper 29($949) and the rockhopper was definitely nicer. But the Talon 4, it felt pretty good for only being $589 locally. Comes with a 1 year warranty, and from the shop it includes 1 year of service.

Is this a decent choice for a starter bike?
    Giant Talon 27.5 Hardtail Reviews - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yep.
    It has rebound damping through the hydraulic lockout.

Rod
    mtbr member

The Talon is definitely a very nice starter bike. I have ridden a talon in the past and I took it on a 20-25 mile mountain bike ride without any problems at all. I have owned Giant bikes for years without any problems thus far. I've been riding my last bike for the past 4 years with no issues.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member

I was gonna refer the Giant Talon or the XTC. Both are great bikes for the price, especially if you can find one used. I'm a little Giant biased, but that's because I've ridden them without any issues. Just make sure, whatever you wind up buying, that it fits you. Don't go with a bike that's too big because it was a steal of a price. Unless you can trade it for something in your size of course. Good luck finding one, ride on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giant Trance X 29er

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Not sure what all is available to you up there but I just bought a specialized hardrock. $522 otd for me Including a saddle and bottle holder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trek X-Caliber 6. I've had one for a year and a half. It rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've only checked one local bike store so far and they had the Giant Talon 3 for $659 and Talon 4 for $589.

Is the Talon 3 worth the $70 difference over the Talon 4?

I also plan on some minimal upgrades like metal foot peddles and those simple things.

Is it a bad idea to put more expensive upgrades into a starter bike?

Specialized Hardrock sport disc was $799.

I'm gonna check out some more bike stores today too, I think theres atleast 2 more in my city - though the one i visited has the best reviews on google.

The medium bike frame on the Talon 4 seemed to fit me best (17.5 inches) I believe. Standing over the large my body was touching the top of the bike frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dxroo View Post
    Not sure what all is available to you up there but I just bought a specialized hardrock. $522 otd for me Including a saddle and bottle holder.
    My local store is charging $799 for that, was that the 2014 or 2015? What city/state are you in?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmountyman View Post
    I've only checked one local bike store so far and they had the Giant Talon 3 for $659 and Talon 4 for $589.

Is the Talon 3 worth the $70 difference over the Talon 4?

I also plan on some minimal upgrades like metal foot peddles and those simple things.

Is it a bad idea to put more expensive upgrades into a starter bike?
    The 4 will work for learning and seeing how you like to ride. Save upgrade money for another bike in a season or two. Ask about demo days in your area to test different bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast