1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Help! Brake Rubbing problems

Hi all,
    I have recently upgraded to BB7's apart from the initial set up I haven't had to touch them, as firstly I haven't ridden much and secondly they haven't had any issues.
    I have now noticed that the brakes are rubbing and no matter how I try to move, adjust or just fiddle with the caliper, the thing is still rubbing on the bads and also one of the mounting bolts.
    The root of this issue I believe can be found in the fork, hub or QR.
    The wheel does not sit in the fork centre (yet I have no tracking or handling issues) and the wheel seems to have something wrong in the hub/QR area as the wheel doesn't track straight (it wobbles as if warped).
    Has anyone else had this issue and what needs to be replaced/repaired to fix it? I ride it almost every day as a commuter as well as off road so it needs to be running.
    I believe it personally to be the QR, would this cause the issues?
    I don't know much about QR's but to replace I'd presume I'd get a DT Swiss or Shimano set up, is that correct?
    Thanks and I hope someone can help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    does the hub feel loose?? if it's a shimano hub it uses a cup and cone if the nuts that sandwich them together get loose the wheel will wobble. If the wheel seats properly in the dropouts but looks bent you may just need to have the rim TRUED at your LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The bike is a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc.
    The hub has very little play, I have checked with the wheel and the QR for play in it.
    I believe something is bent causing the wheel to sit wrong, where and what is what I don't know.
    The hub setup: "Joy-Tech, disc, 36h, ground race double sealed loose ball w/ alloy QR"
    Could it be the QR or hub with the issue? Or is it the setup of the brakes?
    I'll update with videos of what its doing and the parts in motion tomorrow, but if anyone has any idea I'd like to know possibilities.
    Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    And if not, to my LBS it goes

Picture Unrelated
    Did you adjust the fixed pad adjuster when you tried to adjust the caliper position? I would have to guess that you probably tried to recenter the caliper but the fixed pad has worn down a bit leaving your caliper centered around the pads but not the caliper.

Try dialing the fixed pad adjuster in so that the rotor is centered in the caliper but just barely not rubbing when you get it tightened down.

Unless you have play in the system when the QR is tight then you shouldn't be having a hub issue. Actually, make sure that your wheel sits straight in the dropouts; if it's canted to one side that could also cause your issue. Loosen your QR, let the wheel center in the drops and carefully tighten the QR back down.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fat-tired Roadie
    "Very little play" is too much, at least when the wheel is mounted and the quick release is tightened.

I've had trouble adjusting non-Shimano cup and cone bearings to their happy place, with no play when mounted and also spinning nicely. But, it's worth a shot.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...and-adjustment
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @zebrahum I've adjusted the pads in and out, checking through the hole that's shows alignment, and it still rubs. It could be that I'm not clued in on all the possibilities on adjustments (Avid instructions are terrible) but I've fiddled with pads, where it sits on the adapter, where the adapter goes onto the fork etc and it's still rubbing.

@AndrwSwitch I shall take the hub apart on the weekend then and see what's the story in there, after I play with the adjustment some more. Thanks for the helpful link, it will definately help me out. The play in the hub is barely a mm of movement, I couldn't see how that makes the wheel sit wrong in the forks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Did you adjust where the caliper bolts into the adapter? If not, up screw both adjusting bolts on the caliper (ones that adjust the pads) then loosen the caliper bolts (the ones that screw into the adapter that connects to your fork) and get it dead on straight, tighten and then adjust the pad adjustment knobs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah well it made it to work today but I now have an issue with my derailer. I'll get my LBS to look it up.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized03 View Post
    Yeah well it made it to work today but I now have an issue with my derailer. I'll get my LBS to look it up.
    If they're a nice shop you can ask them to explain what they're doing as they work on it so you know what to do or look for in the future.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Take Chances
    Here are some good articles regarding adjusting. Not sure if there are other problems but these really helped me with getting the avid breaks working right.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...isc-adjustment
    http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/10/30/...l-disc-brakes/
    (not bb7 but similar)

mtbr member
    Okay, may sound obvious, but are you sure your front wheel is fully and squarely seated in the drop outs? I ride with a new that can't ever seem to get his front wheel in right! Sounds like if it isn't obvious a simple trip the bike shop will guarantee a positive result!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks everyone, especially for the adjusting website.
    @TiGeo don't worry, I checked that before going to the trouble of making a thread. Thanks though!