1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

help a big man find a bike

i am pretty new to the forum
    but i am trying to get my cousin involved in mtb
    i am already hooked
    anyway he is a big guy at 6'4" and over 300lb
    what is a good ht beginner (cheap) that will hold up for him
    i just wanted to get someone else involved too
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    First he will want a hard tail because they get the most components for the price and they hold up very well to clydes (term for bigger riders)

What bike shops are in the area and what brands do they sell?

Next what is your cousin's budget?

If it's below $500 you could try these options:
    A trek 4300 is a good entry level bike that will hold up to some lighter trails
    You can pick one up for between $350-400 at a local bike shop (LBS)
    I currently own a 4300 and I am 6 ft 280 lbs without gear and it holds up to light trails, bike paths, and some fire roads
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4300/

Or if he has a little more cash the trek 4500 is a good option
    You can pick one up for $500-600 depending on the store and your bargaining abilities
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4500/

If he can scare up around $700 then go for a trek 6000 series
    It has some good components, a stronger frame, and is very nice intermediate level bike
    It will be my next purcahse
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/6000/

The nice thing about trek bikes is they have a life time warranty on their frames so if you cousin cracks one in half 2 years down the road you take it into the trek dealer with your original receipt and bam you get a new bike frame. It's pretty nice

The next bike option for about the same amount of coin is gary fisher bikes

A gary fisher wahoo disc would be a good entry bike for around $400 and it has similar components to the trek 4300
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/wahoo/fullspecs

or if you got some more coin you could pick this up
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/marlin/fullspecs

You don't need disc brakes starting out, but they are nice to have especially on muddy trails, but the important thing is just get a decent bike and ride. That's what I did.

If your cousin is willing to spend $1000 then he could get the kona hoss because it's a specific bike for heavy riders. The frame is burly, but the components are not that great for the price:
    http://www.konaworld.com/08_hoss_w.htm

I have road a hoss and it is a mighty fine bike and feels rock solid

Specialized makes some decent entry bikes like the hard rock. Your cousin could easily upgrade the fork and such down the road and have a sturdy bike
    A hardrock can be had for around $450 at most stores

A 29er might also be an option since your cousin is taller and heavier
    A specialized rockhopper disc 29er will go for around 800 and is a nice bike

Or you could go cheap and get an iron horse from dick's sporting goods. They are steel frames and many people ride the **** out of them for years with no problems.

BIGME
    What ever you buy, make sure it is Disc Brakes. V Brakes and big guys are a bad combo. (wheels will get out of adjustment) I was 280 when I bought a Hardrock 4 years ago. Beat the crap out of it then, and it still gets some good miles these days ( but now i prefer my kona).

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    For his height I would also recommend at least riding a 29er for comparison. I'm 6'5" and rode 26" bikes for years, but when I first rode a 29er the handling just clicked. You'll read a bunch of stuff about pros and cons for 29ers, but for taller guys the bikes are just more balanced.

I would also recommend the Rockhopper 29er. It's stout frame with a durable wheelset and the bigger wheels will help smooth out the trail a bit too.

He may be able to find bikes online that look like bargains, but you can't beat a local bikeshop for service after the sale - especially if he's new to mountain biking. The bike will need adjustments during and after break-in, and most local shops will include service with the sale.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Big Man Needs Bike

Hi,

I am a big man,6ft 22 stone and wanting to lose weight, please help in finding a cheap bike for me!!!! or a bike that can do, I quite like Muddy Fox, but I think I'm to big.

Stephen

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=Doris15;9047384]What ever you buy, make sure it is Disc Brakes. V Brakes and big guys are a bad combo. (wheels will get out of adjustment) I was 280 when I bought a Hardrock 4 years ago. Beat the crap out of it then, and it still gets some good miles these days ( but now i prefer my kona).

So I can buy any bike as long it has disc brakes?? Sorry new to this bike thing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thank you for replying so quick, you have been a help already!! Thanks, but is there any bike you could recommend as I have no clue? I do like Muddy Fox
    Last edited by wally187; 02-28-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wally187 View Post
    Hi,

I am a big man,6ft 22 stone and wanting to lose weight, please help in finding a cheap bike for me!!!! or a bike that can do, I quite like Muddy Fox, but I think I'm to big.

Stephen
    Check out the Clydesdale subforum (on MTBR). "Clydesdales" are big riders and you'll find lots of info and inspiration over there.

Picture Unrelated
    [QUOTE=wally187;9047438]
    Quote Originally Posted by Doris15 View Post
    What ever you buy, make sure it is Disc Brakes. V Brakes and big guys are a bad combo. (wheels will get out of adjustment) I was 280 when I bought a Hardrock 4 years ago. Beat the crap out of it then, and it still gets some good miles these days ( but now i prefer my kona).

So I can buy any bike as long it has disc brakes?? Sorry new to this bike thing!
    No, it's not so simple as "any disc brake will do" or "any bike will do" because that brake comment was not an accurate statement to begin with.

There are two types of disc brakes, mechanical and hydraulic. The majority of hydraulic brakes are more powerful than a mid level V-brake. Mechanical disc brakes, however, are a different story. The bulk of them are actually pretty terrible and a V-brake would be at least comparable. The exception is any mechanical disc brake made by Avid, those are fantastic and can be more powerful than many hydraulic systems.

So to recap:
    V-brakes aren't bad, at all.
    Hydraulic disc brakes are nice but expensive (I would avoid the low end stuff like Tektro)
    Mechanic disc brakes are crap except for Avid (BB5, BB7) and you would be better off with V-brakes.

The Specialized Hardrock is a solid bike, it was a good suggestion. I think your budget is the most important thing. Take your moneys and go to your LBS. Start test riding everything that is in and around your price range. Pick the one you like best.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    And they will take my weight? I don't understand that well, but I'm 22 stone brick **** house and I'm worried I will damaging the bike?? LBS?????

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by wally187 View Post
    And they will take my weight? I don't understand that well, but I'm 22 stone brick **** house and I'm worried I will damaging the bike?? LBS?????
    You would be best helped in the Clyde forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-tall-riders/

There are a lot of beginner questions over there and if you can't find what you're looking for then just ask.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?