1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Help adjusting Tektro Novela Mechanical Disc Brakes

Just got a bike in the mail, and am having a hard time making adjustments, particularely the front and rear brakes. I'm only seeing one place where I can make adjustments, but seems like no matter how much I adjust the csliper in one direction, the rotors are still rubbing, and I can't adjust them past a certain point to make them rub any less. If I make adjustments the opposite direction, the calipers grap hold of the pads, and the wheel won't move anymore. What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I loosened the mounting bolts, put a thin piece of cardboard between the inside pad and rotor. Squeezed the lever, and then tightened the bolts. Seemed to work out okay.

mtbr member
    Hmmmh... You might have to adjust the position of the caliper as well as the adjustment bolt and the cable tension.

(http://www.tektro.com/_english/03_su...1273548315.pdf)

Section II c, step 3 and following.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    BTW; I had those brakes and they require lots of adjusting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The stationary pad is too close to the rotor. There are two ways to reposition the caliper so that it won't rub. Using Markapuu's method, loosen the caliper mount bolts enough for it move laterally, stick a business card (or similar) between the inner pad and rotor, pull the lever to activate the brake while you tighten the mount bolts. The outer pad is adjusted by the position of the cable on the caliper lever and fine tuned with the barrel adjusters.

Here's a similar method. Loosen the mount bolts. Adjust the inner pad toward the rotor. It is likely all the way out since it's new - that is why you can't adjust it so it won't rub. Running it in some now will give you room to adjust it out later. Hold caliper lever and tighten the bolts. As before, it will rub. However, you can now back the inner pad away from the rotor. Back it out until it doesn't rub when you spin the wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Good job! thin cardboard is correct spacing

Markapuu wrote: "I loosened the mounting bolts, put a thin piece of cardboard between the inside pad and rotor. Squeezed the lever, and then tightened the bolts. Seemed to work out okay."

Nice trick! Thanks! The thin piece of cardboard, compressed slightly when squeezed, is probably about 0.3 mm (1/3 of the thin mm division on the metric side of a foot ruler) which agrees with the Tektro Novela owners manual which says at one point: "Adjust...[so] there is a 0.3 mm clearance between the stationary (hub side) pad [the inside pad] and the rotor." I don't have enough posts to give the link but a previous post linked to the support page where the manual is.

I've seen quick-and-dirty adjustments where the brakes levers were held squeezed with rubber bands while the mounting bolts are loosened then immediately retightened, centering themselves, but this is an interesting step beyond that which I may try.

I'm just getting into cycling and have new Tektro Novela's that are squealing when the brakes are applied. If time doesn't quiet them, I'll try recentering. I've got a we'll-fix-it-no-matter-if-it's-your-fault warranty that lets me take it back to Dick's Sporting Goods at any time, and my local store has some really knowledgeable guys, but I'd rather try and learn myself first because I can't take the store out on the trail with me if I need something adjusted on the spot.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    BTW; I had those brakes and they require lots of adjusting.
    Yep. I adjusted mine so much, they turned into avid BB-7s. Haven't touched them since.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez