1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Helmet Requirement

So the trail I normally ride isn't "extreme"enough for helmet use. It is not very demanding mostly just a ride through. But as my interest keeps increasing for the sport I would like to go to better trails, most of which require helmets to get in. Whats a good overall helmet to buy?

Cow Clicker
    One that fits snugly. Helmets are differentiated by open face and full face. Unless you are doing down hill or jumping, go with an open face.

All sold should meet or exceed ANSI standards for impact. Some have more coverage in the back of the head.

The biggest difference between a less expensive, $20 WalMart, Bell, and a $120 Giro is the weight and venting. It costs more to design and manufacture a a lightweight, well vented helmet to meet ANSI standards with less material.

So, the short answer is, the less expensive ones are going to be bigger, bulkier, and hotter compared to an expensive one, but they will protect your head about the same.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    So the trail I normally ride isn't "extreme"enough for helmet use.
    That's where you are wrong. All my crashes have caught me by complete surprise, well that's kinda implied since if I knew about them in advance I would have done something different, but I seem to crash in the least likely places.

What I'm getting at is, if you down crazy downhill rides at high speed, hit big jumps and do stunts you have to expect crashing every now and then - I'm too old for that **** so I keep it slow and on the ground. I have yet to crash on tough terrain where I'm alert and focused, it's when I do the easy bits I've done a million times before that the front wheel suddenly hits a bit of slippery mud, slides out, hits a root or rock and I go flying over the handle bars.

So wear a helmet even on the easy stuff, because one day when you're cruising nice and relaxed the turf monster is coming to get you..

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    ANY time I get on my bike no mater what the trail is like, I put a helmet on.

True story -- Last July, my wife and I were going to ride a short two miles to go have dinner and a few drinks at a near by restaurant. Not more than a mile from our house my wife crashed and went head first over her handlebars directly into a concrete pillar. Broke her helmet into 3 pieces.

She didn't want to put it on because it would mess up her hair. I made her put it on. Thank God she did. If not she would probably be dead now.

She did end up with fractures in her face, and needed surgery, but all is well now.

Always put your helmet on!!!!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I went over the bars on my local trail going MAYBE 2mph. I was practicing log roll-overs. It doesn't matter about the terrain or how "extreme" a trail is because accidents can happen anywhere.
    /soapbox

Buy a helmet that is comfortable for you. Fit and weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    True Story:

I was riding home from a ride and I was about 1/2 mi from my house and an SUV passed me and then cut me off / turned right into a school driveway. I ended up hitting the SUV and my head hit the A-pillar on the passengers side. My left arm went into the, luckily open window otherwise I probably would have broken my hand. There was a 1/2in deep "dent" in the top of the helmet where my head hit the pillar.

Was I tired, yes. Did the driver not realize I was there, yes. Did the helmet prevent serious damage: yes.

You're better safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    I agree that wearing a helmet is always a must. I once competed an entire ride with no wrecks only to have the front wheel wash out on me 15 feet from my car at the trail head. Even with as slow as I was going it was a hard hit. I always wear my helmet, knew/shin guards, and gloves. My thoughts are why suffer an injury if I do not have to. It is much better to fall, dust off, and get right back on the trail than sit there and do a Peter Griffen for 10 minutes when it could have been avoided.

Family Guy Peter is Hurt - YouTube

Bicycle Radical
    I wear a helmet every time I get out on the bike. It has become more of a habit than anything.

Some of my roadie buddies don't wear them on our rides and receive glares from other cyclists. One guy yesterday was thoroughly appalled at them just wearing their cycling caps.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I understand what all of you are saying. So whats the best place to get a good helmet such as a lighter more ventilated substance?

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I understand what all of you are saying. So whats the best place to get a good helmet such as a lighter more ventilated substance?
    Go to your LBS and try some on to see which fits you best.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    LBS is always the best place to start. You want to make sure it is comfortable before you buy and it allows you to try on multitple helmets. You can always buy online later if it is too expensive for you at the shop. My LBS is great about that. They will tell you that you can find a part cheaper online and where you can find it. That is why I keep going back to them whenever I can afford to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I picked up a Schwinn Intercept helmet for $16 at Amazon. It fits great (easy to adjust), is very light, and well vented.