1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Helmet Concerns Regarding Ventilation

First off, you should know that I'm a complete noob when it comes to MTB... so I apologize for what will probably be a stupid question.

Anyway, I was just wondering if a helmet like the Bern Macon would have enough ventilation to wear in the summer or not. I know that the "summer" padding is supposed to be designed for proper airflow, but I'm not sure how efficient it actually is; does anyone have any real-world experience with this?

I generally feel more comfortable in this style helmet, but if my brain is going to boil, I'm thinking it's probably not worth it...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Macon : Bern

That helmet will be a lot hotter than say

Volt Triathlon Helmet, Road Cycling Helmets - Bell Sports

(Interesting the Volt is listed as a dirt helmet, but the link says Triathalone/road)....Anyway I have ridden the Volt for 7 years now in the dirt.

You see people take their helmets off to climb a mountain etc....especially with something like a Bern Macon...

So if they fall going over a log or maybe a short downhill.....

They are unprotected for that amount of time....

On the other hand they have more protection on the side and the rear of the head....

However of all the crashes I have seen the extra side and rear protection was never needed....

Face Plants I have seen and a full coverage helmet is the real solution for that type of crash...

So the Bern Macon seems to be a half/half solution patterned after bike park helmets....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Helmets like the Bern are extremely hot, I use the Specialized Propero and as good as its ventilation is I still get hot from time to time.

Picture Unrelated
    That Bern will be very hot compared to a vented helmet, but hot is a relative term. I'm sort of assuming that you have one already so you could just give it a try. Just don't ever take your helmet off for a climb, that's how you get yelled at on the trail by me.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I'm sort of assuming that you have one already so you could just give it a try.
    Nope; I haven't made a purchase yet. I'm just trying to figure out some kind of balance between comfort, peace of mind, weight, and air flow. Also, as a noob, I don't really get why someone would take their helmet off for a climb. I hate being clueless, haha...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Clorox View Post
    Also, as a noob, I don't really get why someone would take their helmet off for a climb. I hate being clueless, haha...
    As someone who has been cycling for as long as I was able, I can't understand it either.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clorox View Post
    Nope; I haven't made a purchase yet. I'm just trying to figure out some kind of balance between comfort, peace of mind, weight, and air flow. Also, as a noob, I don't really get why someone would take their helmet off for a climb. I hate being clueless, haha...
    Well the guys and girls I see doing it are riding 40 lb downhill bikes with full coverage helmets, up a 25% slope for about 1200 vert feet at a temp of 30 C....

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Well the guys and girls I see doing it are riding 40 lb downhill bikes with full coverage helmets, up a 25% slope for about 1200 vert feet at a temp of 30 C....
    Much more understandable than the people I see riding road bikes up frequently traveled canyon roads with their helmets on their handlebars. DH bikes uphill aren't going very fast, a crash is probably not going to have life changing consequences.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Much more understandable than the people I see riding road bikes up frequently traveled canyon roads with their helmets on their handlebars. DH bikes uphill aren't going very fast, a crash is probably not going to have life changing consequences.

Maybe not, but it's enough to give somebody a concussion when their head hits a rock or a boulder I broke my helmet when I slipped as I was trying to tighten my snowboard boots with my other foot attached to the board - I wasn't even moving or on a hill, just flat ground.
    Last edited by adonis_abril; 07-20-2012 at 09:03 AM.

'Tis but a scratch
    'jeffscott' recommended a real nice helmet. But he did take you from a $45 helmet to a $115 helmet. You can still get a $45 vented helmet intended for MTB. Check out something like jenson usa. They have sales regularly too. If you are serious DH guy, or doing some big drops, then full face might be good. In which case you will be hot and it will be more expensive. One way or another, wear a helmet...better to be hot then dead.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in the amount of protection offered by a Bern. Pic of my bud rockin' his Bell Venture:

Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A lot of people like the Giro Hex as well. It lists for $90 but it appears as if you can get it for quite a bit less.

Fat-tired Roadie
    A while ago, I bought an inexpensive Specialized-branded helmet from my LBS.

It does the job. Breathes better than my snowboard helmet, or really anything with no holes. So, I'm happy.

I think that Bern is trying to come up with a way to sneak into an oversaturated market. A lot of people think helmets look dorky. Which they do, to be fair. A lot of companies seem to think they can sneak in with some other dorky-looking thing that doesn't look like the dorky-looking thing people object to. Witness skater-style helmets being sold for commuting, for example.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx