1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Hello y'all

mtbr member

Hello y'all

First of I would like to tell you something about myself. I'm a pretty BIG guy, 6'5" 290LBS.I started cycling a couple of weeks ago after long 15 year break. I'm biking on Des Plaines River Trail Illinois Trail Reviews

For my first bicycle I decided to get a Fuji 29er, Nevada 3.0. I'm happy with it so far.

I got one problem, I have a burning sensation above my knees. I'm not sure but it could be quadricep muscles. It happens during hard pedaling and right after I stop, and then it goes away. I dont wanna hurt myself in a first month of riding

My bike was fitted by LBS. I recently lifted up my seat, but no change.

Any idea ??

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a similar thing happen to me. I notice if I go riding for 3+ more days in a row, I get that same sensation you are talking about when pedaling hard. I think its just my body telling me it needs a rest. I even notice the tops of my knees get red when this happens.

I will then take a day or two off and my legs feel as good as new...until I hit it for several days in a row again.

mtbr member
    @ d1b3. In those off days, do those muscle burn??? For example when I stretch in a.m. I can still feel little burning sensation. I'm starting to believe its just sore muscles, but then again, it has been over two weeks now that I have started riding every other day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I might be a little sore the next day but it is very minimal if at all.

If this helps any, I started bike riding back in the beginning of April. I will go on at least 8 mile rides 3+ times a week. I ride mostly on paved paths and really try to push it to get a good work out.

Before this exercise for me was pretty minimal.

Fat-tired Roadie
    My first guess would be crappy pedaling technique. A lot of people push way too high a gear when they start riding. You should learn to spin at least 90 rpm. You can either measure that with a bike computer or count the number of times your right knee comes up in fifteen seconds and multiply.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    THX AndrwSwitch

Ok, multiply it by?

Also I have noticed that my lags were holding up my weight. My seat is so uncomfortable I was hardly ever sitting on it, even when I was crunched over it.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Multiply x 4, 15 seconds time 4 is 60 seconds/1 minute.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2302/2500

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bicycle saddles and weight distribution aren't that intuitive. It's not like a couch that I put all my weight on. Weight should be shared between the saddle and the pedals. If I'm cruising along at really low effort, I tend to put a lot more weight on the saddle. If I'm really working it, I might put near zero on it. And of course I unweight it or get off it entirely if the trail surface is rough.

The weight I do put on my saddle, I transfer almost entirely through my sit bones. Most of us are somewhat sensitive to having the right shell shape, and also to positioning our saddles correctly. That's height, angle, and fore/aft position along the rails. So it can take a little experimentation.

Finally, people say it takes a couple weeks to get used to saddles starting out, or after a long break.

Bottom line is that if you're putting a lot of weight somewhere other than your sit bones, you should try to fix that. If it's just that you're bruising a bit, but in the right place, you'll acclimate. It just takes a little time.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    My first guess would be crappy pedaling technique. A lot of people push way too high a gear when they start riding. You should learn to spin at least 90 rpm. You can either measure that with a bike computer or count the number of times your right knee comes up in fifteen seconds and multiply.
    On this note, here's a brief article on "mash vs. spin". I recall in my return to frequent cycling (started with more road riding), that my knees were taking a beating and I was definitely a masher. I'm no doctor and even if I was I couldn't diagnose over the internet, but spinning made a big difference for me back then and still does.
    HowStuffWorks "How is mashing different from spinning?"

mtbr member

Hello y'all

I am in a similar situation as you OP. I was 325 6'3. I hadn't exercised in years. I bought a spesh rockhopper and hit the trails. At first I had the same pain in my legs and my ass pain was bad.
    Over the last six weeks and maybe 100 miles of riding, my legs got stronger and only hurt after tough uphill climbs. My ass bones don't hurt as much but I bought padded shorts which really helped that. I know I need a new saddle but I can deal for now.
    I guess for me, the pain was just from inactivity. I've lost 15 pounds and everything is getting easier.
    Good luck man!

History is written by those who have hanged heroes.

mtbr member
    THX BF...

I just came back from riding, and I got to tell you BF, I must agree with you. Those muscles were not used in a long time...

I did measure my rpm's by the number of times my right knee comes up in 15 seconds, and 18 x 15 = 72. Of course it was on a paved road and at mine most comfortable gears.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Hello y'all

Sounds like you've got some room for improvement there.

A good drill is when you're JRA, like on a road, shift down one gear and try to maintain the same speed. Do it for about a minute at a time. If it feels like more work, it probably is, but when your muscles get more comfortable with the new firing pattern it should actually be more efficient.

If you want to throw money at the problem, a lot of riders find it useful to have a bike computer that measures cadence. Actually not something I've ever found that useful, but I refused to put a computer on any of my bikes until I'd already been riding for a long time, and I still don't usually use anything mounted to my bars. (Although I now record a ton of stuff and occasionally do work out with heart rate.)