1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Hello from west TN

Hello everyone,
    Been lurking here for a long time,finally joined.I have founds many useful articles,posts,and general info on here.
    Didn't bother joining at first because I too ride a dept store bike.Mongoose D60R.I like it,I ride it for what it's worth.lol.It seems that there isn't much help for us guys,just "get a real bike,trash it,etc...."I was lost the first couple times my bike broke.I didn't dare post here for fear of getting even more frustrated.Now that I have some experience riding and fixing I feel maybe,some how I might have something to offer the site.
    I wouldn't want someone who enjoys the sport lost when thier bike breaks.I will not argue the point of what is crap or not,I just enjoy riding.

anyone here from west tn?

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Hello fom west TN

Good morning!! I'm in God's country, New Mexico, a state of the Union often confused with a foreign country.
    WELCOME to mtn biking!! ENJOY!! (My opinion only= the best bike in the world? THE ONE YOU RIDE! I know people with $3,000 bikes hanging in the garage collecting cobwebs, and many "dept store" bike owners riding them everyday. When I raced motorcycles there was a phrase:"Run what you brung", which meant it didn't matter that you had an enduro bike and took off the lights and turnsignal and mirrors, come down and race it!
    I've been to the Chupacabras 100 Km mtnbike race in Juarez, Mexico (great race), with over 2,000 starters and you can see darn near every kind of bike in the world there and yes, a LOT of the Dept store bikes finish the race!
    Enjoy the ride!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Welcome to mtbr. Ironman is right. Just enjoy riding.

You mean New Mexico is a US state? I thought that's where the panama canal is located.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, man, I just joined also. I live in Germantown, TN. Suburb of Memphis. I go to school at Ole Miss, so I'm not there now, but I do a lot of riding at Herb Parsons and Stanky!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Midtown Memphis here. I do a lot of riding on the Wolf River Trails and Stanky Creek. If you are near Memphis check out the Midsouth Trails Assoc. site. midsouthtrails.com

Dave
    Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not saying they are good,just good for me now.lol.
    I'd really enjoy getting down to memphis and riding some,but with kids and work..ya'll know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live in northern california, but I visit my mom frequently. She lives in drummonds, TN which is right next to Millington. About 30 minutes from memphis? I just got my first mountain bike and would love to do some TN riding. Are there plenty of trails to choose from?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastbaynewb
    I live in northern california, but I visit my mom frequently. She lives in drummonds, TN which is right next to Millington. About 30 minutes from memphis? I just got my first mountain bike and would love to do some TN riding. Are there plenty of trails to choose from?

There are 5+ good trails in the Memphis area. IMHO the best for beginners is the Wolf River Trail at Shelby Farms. Stanky Creek in Bartlett park is one of the more technical trails in the area. Look at the "Trail Maps" section of the Midsouth Trails Assoc. (see link above) site for some good info.

Next time you are in town let me know and we'll hit a trail.
    Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wolf River is good for beginners, but it's very slow. I've done all of them, and I have to say my favorite is Herb Parsons. I've been worked by Stanky too much, and get very frustrated on those trails. I think Herb Parsons is the best all-around trail in that area, just a little too short at 5.5 miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Welcome! If your bike is working fine for you then dont worry about it. Maybe once you really trash it after some hard riding, then think about upgrading

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I absolutely agree with the "just ride what you have" philosophy. I don't even bother lurking on the threads that argue this bike vs. that bike (I really hate the brand bashing threads). Who cares what brand you ride or what components it has...just ride! Isn't that why we are all here on these forums? Because we love to ride, have fun, crash, and then do it again. Eventually, when your finances match your skills you'll step up to the bike you really want. And even then it only matters if you like it and if it fits right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info on the trails in memphis.I might be having a couple jobs to do there and would like to get some riding done.I want to do them all.lol.
    I'll upgrade when money will let me.and my skill lvl of course.Most of my riding is on the road and 4wheeler trails.

mtbr member
    Hey there, another new member here. Good to see you and the others here.
    I live in Cooper-Young. I am kinda new to biking, and try to get to the trails once a week and getting into communting to work when I can. Hope to see you on the trails!
    Blur: How I like the scenery...