1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Hello And Thank You.

Hello everyone. I singed up last night and picked my bike up today. After going to quite a few different stores including department stores. I found this place, Was almost thinking about 300 dollar mongoose from walmart. Untill I got here. Well I found a local seller selling an 01 trek 7000 front supension MB. for the same price. It doesn't have disk breaks and all that stuff but for the price I got it for I couldn't be happier. I'll be hanging around here a bit.
    Thanks.

Hoosier
    Welcome! Congrats on picking a bike that you can stick with for some time. If you haven't stumbled upon this yet, those v brakes will work as well as the lower end disc brakes which are pretty much just for show. I hope you enjoy mountain biking.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

Ultraglide In Black
    Someone offered up a '00 7000 to me last weekend, but it was way too small for me (felt like a bmx bike). It was light as I recall, but solid. Congrats and good times...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeR6
    Hello everyone. I singed up last night and picked my bike up today. After going to quite a few different stores including department stores. I found this place, Was almost thinking about 300 dollar mongoose from walmart. Untill I got here. Well I found a local seller selling an 01 trek 7000 front supension MB. for the same price. It doesn't have disk breaks and all that stuff but for the price I got it for I couldn't be happier. I'll be hanging around here a bit.
    Thanks.
    Good ride and good find. You will get so much better service out of that jewel than a Wally World bike

mtbr member
    Nice find. I rode a '99 Trek 7000 up until.. well, a month ago, and never had any problems with it. Nice bike.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Congrats on the new bike! Welcome

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys from the couple of bikes that I have been on, I just like the feel of the disk brakes a lot better, They don't seem to pull the front end down as much, as the v brakes.
    I'm looking to see if its possible to upgade the front at least to disk, Also I have to switched the break lever around. So the right hand side is the front. That just want I'm used to with Street bikes. Meaning My Yamaha R6 and FZ1.

spec4life???..smh...
    If you are really concerned about the breaks id check out the kool stop line of break pads. I run the dual compound mtn pads and they stop as well if not better than most mech disc iv ridden. I would definently check out this option before considering a disc brake conversion, which gets expensive fast.

Glad to hear you didt get stuck with a Walmart bike...you would have been disapointed.

mtbr member

brakes

Check your PM's