1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Hello, and some new bike advise please

Hello,

This is my first time posting here. I see there is plenty to read here about bikes and related info. I'm almost ready to make a purchase after taking a look at some different bikes and trying to determine what the best setup is for the riding I plan to do.

I'm looking for a full suspension bike with 27.5 wheels. I rode a Giant over the weekend, a Jamis, and I am going to look at a KONA soon,
    so here's some more specifics as to what I'm looking at.

Kona Precept DL
    Kona Process 134

Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Comp

Giant Anthem 27.5 3
    Giant Trance 27.5 3

Opinions welcome!

Jake

Fat-tired Roadie
    Ride them all, buy your favorite.

Looks like there's everything from XC bikes to AM bikes in your list. Not that it's terribly important in real life, but what kind of riding do you plan to do? If nothing grabs you, that will help you narrow your list.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I guess I need some help in breaking this down:

XC Cross Country? AM All- Mountain? I'm not sure specifically what type of riding I'll be doing. Understanding this stuff a little better will help narrow things down. I am not interested in buying more bike than I need. I wouldn't call myself an extremely aggressive rider.

J

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^^ That's correct. XC bikes are usually ridden on single track types of trails that are fast, have some variances in terrain and some obstacles. But 100mm(4") of travel is sufficient to handle anything the trails throw at you.

AM bikes have more travel. Usually in the 120mm-140mm(4.75"-5.5") range. This extra travel allows the bike to be ridden through more aggressive terrain.

Pick whatever bike fits your needs.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Talk to the people at the shop ,ask what would they recommend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm sure any of these bikes will feel better than the 20 year old Diamond back zero suspension bike I have now. I will look over the specs regarding travel amounts. I am also interested in getting a quality package of adjustable components. The ease and practicality of the adjustments is a deciding factor. I liked the components I saw on the Janis, but I don't know much of anything about the KONA components on the bikes listed above. Yes I am going to look at one very soon. I appreciate your input.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If you are not looking to get a bike that will be more than what you need... Discuss this with your LBS... It's easier to describe the riding you are planning on doing (ie. if you never ever plan on riding the bike on trails... riding the bike on the street. Then you would not need a full suspension bike).
    At the end of the day... the only thing that is going to matter is how the bike feels to you when you ride it. You can ride hundreds of bikes... and maybe 1 bike will end up feeling good enough for you to purchase.
    Once you win a prize... it's yours to keep.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just went through the whole "which bike should I get" question. I bought a full suspension and a 29er. As much as I liked the way the full suspension fell on my backside, it really didn't gain me anything. It was actually a lot heavier and I lost a lot of power/speed whenever I was on it. I keep my drops to 18" or less, and at that height, a decent hardtail with 2.2" tires is all you really need. If you're going down a mountain, you want a bike designed for mountains with lots of suspension, quality parts, etc... If you're just riding around trails that have roots and rocks with some smaller drops, a general purpose XC hardtail bike is all you really need.

If you're tall, look at a 29er. If your average height, look at the 650 or 29er. If you're short, look at the 26 and 650B bikes. Standover is important, and if you don't have at least 2" clearance when you stand over the bike (not sitting the seat, but with your feel on the ground) you will hurt yourself in a very unpleasant way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Jake what kind of riding or terrain do you generally ride on? The bikes you have listed are all over the place... The Anthem is a FS XC bike, the Trance is an AM bike, and the two Kona's you have listed are an AM and Enduro style bike respectively.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OK, I just finished a quick street demo of the Kona Precept DL. I did not care for it, compared to the Janis Dakar 650. The Janis is looking like the one I like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sounds like you figured it out!
    Bike Doctor

29ers Forever
    Jamis would be my recommendation. Especially if you did not like the Kona.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just got a Mountain Bike reality check. In doing my due diligence, and checking out the trails listed on this site, I headed out to a trail that's 3 minutes from home. From what I can see, it's going to be up and down fire roads in the area. That's fine. I'm looking for the outdoor experience and the exercise. I took the 20 year old Diamond Back Apex. sure I'm not in great shape right now but that's another story. What I did notice was that on the way down, I literally ride like an old man. Slow, and riding the brakes a bit. Going much faster downhill may not be the kind of riding I do. I like staying in control with my experience level. I am not sure how much faster I would ride downhill, even with more experience. So the questions are:

How quickly am I going to wear out a set of disc brakes on a nice new bike?

Do I really need full suspension? Maybe just a Hardtail?

Since I already decided on the Jamis, maybe they have a hardtail with some similar components. Thanks for reading.

Jake

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    On fire roads a HT will be more then enough, and with the money you will save you can buy better components. As far as riding slow, speed will increase with practice..... but you will notice a big difference and feel more comfortable with a nicer ride!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Disc brake pads vary. Can be as low as 10 miles under extraordinary conditions and with BB5 pads. In general, I'd expect it to be more on the order of 1000 miles.

Nobody needs full suspension. I still enjoyed all the same trails on my hardtail. But I certainly enjoy my fancy new bike now.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Today is day one of owning the Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Comp. I took it out for a couple of hours. All I can say is WOW. This bike is amazing. I plan on riding it often.