1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Hello ! from Royston Hertfordshire

Hello there ! Im Dave from Royston herts, i am a complete novice to mountainbiking and am looking at getting into it to get a bit fitter and enter some events. After a few weeks of searching the net debating what bike to get i have singled out the voodoo hoodoo as it was rated best beginner bike -high end and all the reviews i have read have been good. Im going for the 20" frame as im 6ft 2 . what are peoples thoughts on the hoodoo?. only worry i have is as i have not got any knowledge of putting these bikes together i would be getting halfords to do it and the employees arent exactly experts from what ive heard.. are they quite easy to put together? im a gas engineer and have done plumbing and heating for 7 years before that so am used to using tools etc..
    any feedback would be great!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Get off the Internet and go to some actual bike shops.

Ride a lot of bikes and buy your favorite.

What kind of events?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Dave

Check out this recent thread about buying a bike partially assembled - a bunch of good detailed stuff about what should be checked over, etc.

About to get a bike delivered, what to check

20" is likely in the ballpark for your height; if you had a chance to test ride it back to back with the next bigger size and see how they feel to you, that would be helpful. The Hoodoo looks like a fine starter bike to me; reviews are good, seems pretty well equipped for the price. Buy one that fits and get out riding!
    Cheers.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    thanks for the replies guys after looking further all the good reviews were to the 2012 model with suntour raidon x1 remote lockout forks. they have downgraded the new one so it has raidon x3 fork for some reason. Went into the local halfords and lets say the staff didnt seem that competent so decided against the voodoo and have decided on the trek 4700 d from evans cycles 21.5 frame who will build the bike for me which i am alot happier with as they are actually a bike shop lol also i can test ride it to make sure im completely happy before i take the bike away.guys there have been excellent