1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Hello and quick question on used bike

This is my first post but I've been watching these forums since I bought my first bike('07 Superlight) a few months ago. I've got to say that reading the various threads here has been really helpful in learning about riding technique and my bike.

We've been trying to get one of my good friends into riding and he's agreed to it as long as the price doesn't go past a certain point. I'm still not really familiar with the different bikes and components out there but I noticed a used 2004 Enduro Pro for sale locally. I was hoping you guys might be able to tell me if the following is a good deal for $900. Thanks and keep up the good work!

2004 Specialized enduro PRO size Medium
    5+ inches of travel,
    Mavis Crossland wheelset,
    Hayes disc brakes,
    Easton bars,
    Easton stem,
    Cane creek S3 headset
    Manitou Firefly plus SPV Fork
    Telescoping seatpost, Drop it down for the downhill and raise it up for the climbs
    fox rear shock w/ lockout
    Xt hollowtech crankset with outboard bearings
    Xt rear derailleur ,
    Xtr front derailleur
    Xtr 8 SPEED casette, (A Collectors item)
    Sram twist shifters 8 speed
    2.1 Nevegal tire on rear and a 2.5 weirwolf tire on front

Has usual wear and tear on a bike. ONly has a small scratch on fork and some marks on frame.
    In very good condition.

pronounced may-duh
    Nice bike. Not sure why it has 8 speeds. The owner must have moved parts over from another bike. Inspect the frame very carefully for cracks. Used aluminum frames can crack from fatigue. Sounds like the owner was a bit of a free rider so it's probably been ridden hard.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Alright thanks a lot for the advice.