1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

hello new guy checking in

hello all my name is Chris i live on barksdale afb in L.A. and i trying to get back into biking. I'm 27 and have been in the USAF for 8 years and need some way to stay in shape . i loved riding when i was younger and have gone out on a local trail 2 days in a row now and have learned 3 things. first is god I'm out of shape, second i am no were near the rider i was when i stopped 6 years ago(someone stole my bike while i was deployed), and third i need to take me cheap walmart crap to the local shop to get the gears to shift right. by the way i ride a drum roll pleas mongoose dx200 so help keep me motivate guys i am stuck with this bike for at least a year deal with the wife can get what i want if i ride at least once a week for a year. to be honest its not that bad of a bike really and should work for me till my riding level goes up

mtbr member
    Are you wanting bike advise upgrade I take it ? Or are you just venting ?

BTW , Ty for serving our country !!!!
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    don't know really i love tinkering with stuff but i don't know if its worth upgrading i looked at some stuff fox's shocks mostly but i wont turn down advice i was just saying high its a nice bike a little heavy but i can get on it and ride witch im loveing. im more mad at my self really. Also its an xr 200 and i really do hate the gear shifter it skips gear's and i cant get it adjusted right

Ride or die
    Do not upgrade that frame. Put the money towards your new frame next year. You will always have issues with gear shifting on that bike, but if you learn how to adjust your gears, it will be managable. This is a good site to get you started:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...illeur-systems

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    awsome thanks if i changed all the gear stuff would that fix my shifting issue's or is it somthing with the frame

Ride or die
    It's not that the frame promotes bad shifting; it's just that by the time you replace all of the components related to shifting, you will have spent way more than the bike is worth. Learn to adjust the shifting and you will be alright until you get your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok thanks i just figure anything i have to buy i will just transfer over to the new bike but I'm going to try adjusting it first either way I'm just happy to be riding again

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ok after reading all the bashing on walgoose bikes on here and how much of a death trap they are i ave decided to strip the paint on mine and paint it white and lable it the Pale Horse

Underskilled
    Silver lining on every cloud.

You have a heavy bike with lousy equipment.

Therefore you will get more exercise riding it, you will have to learn better technique to control it. At the end of the year when you get a better bike, not only will you be a lot fitter you will greatly appreciate what your money improved.

It bugs me when people enter the market on a 1500 bike and blame everything on the bike that is in fact their fault.
    This is a learning experience, grab it by the horns and take full advantage!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    yeah im a very half full kinda guy like i said i like the bike and im just glad to be riding agian if i do upgrade anthing i ill just make sure i can use it on my next bike as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i went trail riding today and i need allot more practice the tree won

then the pedal fell of

will cost 20 bucks to replace and the bike store said it will more than likely happen again because of the design we will see if it happens again i will replace the crank

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Hahaha, that's pretty crazy.

Glass half full perspective is the best one to have on this bike, it will definately make you a better rider having to deal with some of the quirks, and you're going to love a bike co branded bike when you get one!
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Welcome! And great that you want to start riding again! But that walgoose has got to go! : )
    Some bike shops refuse to work on them.
    I recently got back into riding as well.
    I bought an entry level Trek that i love! $600

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    its great to be back on the trial's and really the bike hasn't been all that bad although i really don't have all that much to compare to I'm kinda like the kid that has only ever driven a civic trying tell the corvette club my cars not that bad ha ha like i said befor i plan on riding this bike for atleast a year and i will fix/upgrade stuff as it brakes with the plan to move my upgraded stuff to the new frame i buy mor pics and crashes to come

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Kind of funny... I bought a cheap arse diamond back from ***** last year, when I was wanting to get back into riding after a loooong time away. I had so much trouble with it (constantly tinkering with it) the old lady felt bad and hooked me up with store credit at a local lbs for Christmas.

Moral to the story... keep having trouble with the old bike maybe a new one will find its way to ya sooner than ya think...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpres73
    Kind of funny... I bought a cheap arse diamond back from ***** last year, when I was wanting to get back into riding after a loooong time away. I had so much trouble with it (constantly tinkering with it) the old lady felt bad and hooked me up with store credit at a local lbs for Christmas.

Moral to the story... keep having trouble with the old bike maybe a new one will find its way to ya sooner than ya think...
    here is hopeing

oh yeah i got lost trying to find a local trail never got to ride that day but still had fun