1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Hello to the group from a new/old MTBer

Thanks to Santa Wife (and Kids), I'm back in the MTB game after almost 20 years - I got a Santa Cruz 5010 Aluminum with dropper post and Shimano clipless pedals. My last MTB was a non-suspension Mongoose that weighed almost 40 lbs (I was only 180, though, so the total is still the same). I rode around our hilly, sandy, bumpy yard a bit today and remembered how much fun off-road riding is.

I've just hit 1000 miles on my road bike since Labor Day, and can say that I've lost 50 of my target 70 lbs thanks to that and diet. I also want to encourage any other newbies or old-newbies (like me) to ride and have fun. The Santa Cruz is awesome, and I'm not worried if it has the most travel, best angle, etc of any bike. It's WAY more bike than I am a rider, and I probably can spend the next five years trying to catch up.

If any of you ride in North County San Diego, I hope to see you on the trails and roads soon!

Happy Holidays,

Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congratulations on the new bike and Merry Xmas!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forum!

I got back into mountain biking this year after not riding since 1999, and have never looked back. Unlike you I had not ridden any type of bike for years, so at first I was very unfit.

But I have slowly got better over the Summer and am having a great time. As you will on that new bike.