1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Hello from fred-rock Maryland

Hola!!! I am new to the forum, not so new to mountain biking. I just bought an 06' Gary Fisher Marlin and have been riding every day since. I plan on riding this bike mostly on tech stuff like single track and trails. How long before I beat this bike into submission?

Well jsut wanted to say "What up!" and introduce myslef.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Gambrills

Have you tried Gambrills yet?

Do you ever go to Bicycle Escape, They have good customer service there

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I bought at Wheel Base, downtown Frederick. I have not tried Gambrill yet. We went to Shaeffer Farms last weekend and had a blast. I plan on going to the Watershed this weekend and maybe this place called the Sand Flats that is up there too.

What should I be asking my shop to do for me? I had it in for adjustments the other day and to fix a broken chain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I havent seen any southern MD riders on here yet.. I see there are places to ride up there!

mtbr member
    Should give you years of good service!

Ride hard

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Where u from JD? There are buches of places to ride around here within an hours drive. I haven't scratched the surface yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i live in southern md 20 minutes south of DC

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well if you are ever up this way, I knew a bunch of places at all difficulty levels to ride. Also, if I am ever goingt o be down that way, I'll be sure to let you know so we can ride somewhere down there.