1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Hello Everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Hello Everyone!

First time posting here for me.

Today I went to my LBS and purchased a Fuji 29 1.1 I tried a couple of others while at the shop, but this one felt nicer to ride.

This is my first mountain bike. I don't live near any mountains or trails (my town in Florida is as flat and uninteresting as an ironing board). I purchased the bike mostly because of durability compared to other bike styles and to improve health by riding more. I'll be riding mostly on paved roads alongside traffic in a large suburb-type community.

Also, my employer will be putting us through a bike training course using this type of bike in a few months and I wanted to get a head start. As a typical newbie, I probably spent too much on this bike and it most likely does not fit properly, so I'll be posting several questions later on at some point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    where can i get that job?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Could you recommend me that job please ?

Hermit
    You should try to get that thing out on some dirt - it's an amazing experience, loads more fun than riding on pavement (in my opinion).

Check on Trailforks to see if there are any trail systems near you. I've heard some good things about Florida trails, so you may be surprised at what you find.

Florida Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Good luck and enjoy the trails.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    if the bike truly does not fit you,
    1. the bike shop let you down. they should never have recommended a frame size that does not fit you.
    2. you are going to hate riding it. would have keep running in a pair of sneakers that are the wrong size? why would you ride a bike that does not fit?

if the LBS (Performance?) sold you a mountain bike and you told them that you are going to be riding mostly on roads and hard surfaces, they sold you the wrong bike. perhaps you were insistent about buying a mountain bike, even though it's totally inefficient and unnecessary for your application, and they just sold it to you because that's what you wanted. but they should have started by showing you how a hybrid with slick tires would have been a far superior choice for fitness riding on hard surfaces.

the mountain bike will cause you to burn more calories because it's less efficient. if that's your goal, that will do the job. however, you can only get a work out if you ride, and the more you ride, the better a workout you will get. a bike that is more efficient will probably be more fun to ride, so you might end up riding a better-suited bike more. so the mountain bike was probably still a poor choice in that regard.

mtbr member
    I'll have to agree with Mack. For roads, a road bike would have been a better choice.

But for a great workout and versatility, a mountain bike would do very nicely. Compared to a road bike, you are in a more upright posture and its comparatively lower standover height would matter during the many sudden stops you will have to make from cars or pedestrians that cross your path.

Perhaps you could change the bike's tires to something slicker and with less knobs, more suited to road cycling?