1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Hello Everyone :-)

Hey guys/gals. My name is Tyler and I'm new to the forum and mtn biking.. I wanted to stop by the noob section and say hello :-).

I'm 25 years old and I am from Central Missouri. I just recently got into biking again ( last time was when I was a kid ) and purchased my first non Wal-mart bike. My purchase was a 2014 Specialized Hardrock 29er Disc hardtail.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from the forums, and I hope that you all don't bash me too hard :-)
    Last edited by Mid_Mo_Biker; 08-19-2013 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I feel really welcomed :-( lol

Titanium junkie
    Welcome to Mtbr.com, and to biking!
    Got any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
    Good choice on the bike, get out and ride the wheels off it.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    hi... what are you doing waiting online for someone to acknowledge you. get out and ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post
    hi... what are you doing waiting online for someone to acknowledge you. get out and ride.
    It was 9:30 A.M. I was having breakfast and coffee lol.

I doubt I will go to the trails today, but I did ride about 4 miles on the road. Before anyone says " only 4 miles?" I forgot to mention that I am really out of shape and am getting into biking to help me lose weight, and to do as a hobby. So far I'm loving it.

I can't wait until I am in good enough shape to really start going and tearing up the local trails!

Also, I am curious.. I am 6 feet tall 225 pounds and very out of shape.. If I continue to bike every day and keep pushing more and more. How long do you all think it will take until my body adapts to riding and will be able to ride trails without having to get off and push? (Trails here have a lot of uphill climbs)

mtbr member
    Ah, we all ride for different reasons. We were all once ( and most of us, including myself, after more than a year, are still semi- beginners). Just get out and have fun. Best advice- don't get too sucked into all the cycling hype right away. Since you're from center Missouri, check out singletracks.com and Gateway off road cyclists( GORC). They have information on the trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Also, look into your question some more. Everyone's different, and make sure to leave some room for your body to recover, or else you'll over train.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds good, and thanks for the resources Maz :-)

mtbr member
    welcome bro.. just bought my first REAL bike and got into the sport a month ago at the age of 26 on a Specialized Rockhopper niner. Its definitely fun tho its hard as hell when you are out of shape. Ride as often as u can, no matter how short the ride! have fun!
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Welcome, I have been riding for two and a half months now. First three weeks was twice a week on a 6 mile single track. Then the next three weeks was twice a week, two laps on the 6 mile and one on a 9 singletrack with a few burners. Then the next two I went up to three times a week same routes as the last just the one extra day. Now I am riding still three times a week but 4 laps of the 6 and two of the 9. As of Saturday I weighed myself cause the wife was wondering, me to honestly. 27 lbs lost and 4 inchs off waist. I still get my tail kicked but in the past three weeks I have started passing others, Its a nice feeling lol. I still cant pace the team guys that race all the time but I am getting there. Some days I feel great and others weak as the day I started. As for a time to tell you how long it will take you it just depends on how much you ride I guess. Like everyone before me, get out and wear it out and you will find out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    agree just get on your bike and ride. Just ride more and more when ever you can and you find that suddenly you can ride further that you could before, then you will be hitting the good stuff and having a blast.
    oh and welcome to MTBR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pruitt1222 View Post
    Welcome, I have been riding for two and a half months now. First three weeks was twice a week on a 6 mile single track. Then the next three weeks was twice a week, two laps on the 6 mile and one on a 9 singletrack with a few burners. Then the next two I went up to three times a week same routes as the last just the one extra day. Now I am riding still three times a week but 4 laps of the 6 and two of the 9. As of Saturday I weighed myself cause the wife was wondering, me to honestly. 27 lbs lost and 4 inchs off waist. I still get my tail kicked but in the past three weeks I have started passing others, Its a nice feeling lol. I still cant pace the team guys that race all the time but I am getting there. Some days I feel great and others weak as the day I started. As for a time to tell you how long it will take you it just depends on how much you ride I guess. Like everyone before me, get out and wear it out and you will find out.
    Those are some damn good results, in both your riding endurance and weight!!! Im hoping I have the dedication to achieve the same. Nice work!
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey all, thanks for all of your replies.
    I have been riding my bike back and forth to my grandparents nearly every day. Its is around 4 or so miles round trip.. I am noticing my endurance getting better every day, and each day I push harder and harder.

I have already lost 3-4 pounds, and I cant get enough of riding.. It is soo much fun!
    When my cousin gets back from base next week, we are gonna hit the trails :-)

~Tyler