1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Heavy Duty Mountain Bike, for a big guy

Hi i am new to the site, After years of putting on weight to reach 23 stone i have decided i need to change, Eat less and exercise which i never do, So after much thought i have decided to do what i loved when i was a kid going for long rides on my mountain bike, It was a Muddy Fox Pathfinder. So the question is what bike should i by to be able to take my weight without bending the frame or wheels. .

I am after a simple bike nothing flash just something i can go out on rides with my family.

Thanks in advance Steve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Not sure what you are looking for but I will do my best. As embarrassing as it is to admit I go a solid 250. Many of your Hard Tails will handle weight without any problem. I have or had Hotrock ($450)and Rockhopper ($850) hard tails, both by Specialized. I have also had a Bianchi Lynx ($400) HT and never had any trouble out of any of them. I currently ride a 05 Cannondale Prophet ($1700) and have only had one minor issue with the Mavic 117 wheels. Not really a problem just a few times a year I needed to have them trued.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im a big guy like you and right I am made it down to 2 choices. The Rockhopper comp disc 29er and the Kona Hoss. Both of those bikes are meant for us bigger folks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the replies guys,

Is the Giant XTC 4.5 anygood

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnslr
    I have or had Hotrock ($450)and Rockhopper ($850) hard tails, both by Specialized.
    You mean the Hardrock....the Hotrock is deisgned for 10 year olds.

mtbr member
    I run about 260 and now ride an Ibex Ignition Super. No problems for me and I am pretty hard on bikes. My last bike was also a super star, Trek 4500 that I have had for 5+ years and have never had a problem. That is a great entry level hardtail if they still make it. The part I like is the frame was solid enough that as I got better I just kept upgrading the parts. IBEX also make great hardtails from what I have heard and you get a hellova lot of bike for the money.

Check em out www.ibexbikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Heavy Duty Rims

I am about 320 lbs and have a Marin Hardtail. Is there a heavier duty rim that can handle my lbs??? I can pedal a stationary for hours and stopped riding my Marin when the rims started to creak at about 275 lbs.

i need to get back in the saddle but don't want to crush my rims.

All-most Mountain
    I used to weigh up to 270 and rode a Fuji Nevada 3.0. The components were crap but the frame was (and still is) a champ. Never a problem.

Fall Down...Go Boom
    Sep 2008
    Steve, be sure to check out the Clydesdale/Tall Riders forum here at MTBR. It's full of great information and encouragement for us bigger guys.

http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-tall-riders/
    -The world breaks everyone and after some are strong at the broken places.

mtbr member
    May 2011

New N Need So Much Help

Hi Guys Im New here im in need of some help, i live in the U.K and i want to get a mountain bike as i cant walk to well doctor advised me to try cyclying trouble is im around 420lbs/30stone. is there a bike out there for me?

Thanks
    P.s be gentyle with me im doing something about my weight prob n dont need any nasty or sarcastic comments from non-understanding people

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoyWannaBeSlim
    Hi Guys Im New here im in need of some help, i live in the U.K and i want to get a mountain bike as i cant walk to well doctor advised me to try cyclying trouble is im around 420lbs/30stone. is there a bike out there for me?

Thanks
    P.s be gentyle with me im doing something about my weight prob n dont need any nasty or sarcastic comments from non-understanding people
    If there was a rep point system on here, You would have just received some from me.
    No recomendations for bikes. but PROPS for just sticking it out there. ...
    "your post, Not your belly" ha ha ha
    In all seriousness My little brother was 320lbs 3 months ago, after starting out with 4 mile round trip rides He is now doing 12 mile round trip rides with ease and has lost 30 lbs, NO change in diet...
    Good luck, And please done let any "FAT" comments ruin your intentions or your pride...
    They will be just jealouse of your free padding..

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    OP: I was in your boat as well a few weeks ago. I think you should choose your budget, and go visit a few bike shops to see what's out there. I test-rode a bunch of different rides. at 6'5" and 260+ (about 60 over where I was in college), I definitely qualify as a clydesdale.

After around a dozen test-rides, I ended up with a Trek/Fisher Marlin 29'er hardtail (23"frame, too, but then, I'm 6'5"). I haven't taken it on anything especially tough yet, since I'm still getting back in condition to ride tougher trails, but it's already taken a few rock hits and a couple of small (under 2 feet) drops without breaking anything. I figure I'll start upgrading parts when I start breaking them.

FatBoy: Huge, Major, thumbs up. Regardless of what bike you end up with, major points for making a positive decision for yourself. As a MTB'er who (stupidly) let life get in the way of riding for about 10 years, I can tell you that getting back in the saddle this spring has already made a huge improvement in my outlook and energy. I'm sure I'll be shedding weight as well, as the spring moves along.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    CHeers Dude Means alot and well done to ya bro, im on list for baratric surgery but i wanna do this the natural way it is hard some days as people can be so shallow. i will lose weight im so determind and have good friends and family for support.

Quote Originally Posted by LJYJ
    If there was a rep point system on here, You would have just received some from me.
    No recomendations for bikes. but PROPS for just sticking it out there. ...
    "your post, Not your belly" ha ha ha
    In all seriousness My little brother was 320lbs 3 months ago, after starting out with 4 mile round trip rides He is now doing 12 mile round trip rides with ease and has lost 30 lbs, NO change in diet...
    Good luck, And please done let any "FAT" comments ruin your intentions or your pride...
    They will be just jealouse of your free padding..

Underskilled
    Hi Fatboy,

UK rider here, you will be glad to know lbs just roll off when you take up cycling.

I went from being borderline very obese to normal weight in a couple of years. I have started lifting a lot of weights too, so weight is climbing, but in a good way.

The only real advise I can say is that most bike shops are completely clueless on fitting bikes to big guys.

There is a clydes forum on here (clyde is a 200lb+ racing catagory) that is really where you want to be, it is full of heavy beginners and a few experts.

I should also point out, to do this right will not be cheap, probably the wrong side of a grand, but it is worth it for both enjoyment and health.

before you get anything, run the parts list past the forumers here. You are going to get a lot of bad advise, so be careful who you listen too (especially if they are skinny and work in a bike shop).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by steve 1976
    Hi i am new to the site, After years of putting on weight to reach 23 stone i have decided i need to change, Eat less and exercise which i never do, So after much thought i have decided to do what i loved when i was a kid going for long rides on my mountain bike, It was a Muddy Fox Pathfinder. So the question is what bike should i by to be able to take my weight without bending the frame or wheels. .

I am after a simple bike nothing flash just something i can go out on rides with my family.

Thanks in advance Steve.

I started out @ the same weight as you in January of 2010. After XC skiing for 2 1/2 months, I was down to 306#. (EDIT: 206# to 306#)
    I started out on an inexpensive FS MTB that, although it had a cheap fork & shock, the other components were of good quality. I upgraded the fork & shock W/e-bay items & now have a solid peforming FS MTB W/a little over $1000 investment.

The weak point W/moderate riding @ your weight will be the wheels. Let's be realistic here. At your weight you won't be doing any jumps, drops or hucking off terrain so any good robust frame will do. I would not try to find the lightest high tech bike if I were you.Try to find something W/2mm (14ga) spokes & a deep "V" wheel. Stay away from aggressive "knobby" tires as they will drag you back & make riding less enjoyable. They will also wear out quickly.

. Plan on spending @ least $400 to $500 for a decent entry level hardtail if you can find last year's model on clearance. A decent entry level FS bike will be @ least $1000 to $1200 & again, only when you can find a deal on a discontinued last year's model.

When you start out, 3 -4 miles will be a long ride. Your bum will be what limits your mileage. DO NOT put a big plush seat on the bike. It is YOUR seat that is the problem, not the seat on the bike. Just ignore the discomfort & don't overdo it @ first.

Keep increasing your mileage. Soon, you will find that after 5 miles or so you will get your "2nd wind" & you will want to keep going.

By late summer, I rode 112 miles in 1 day. By September I had lost just over 90#, down to 232#.

I felt 30 years younger & my blood pressure, which I was taking 4 medications to barely comtrol, was back to normal.

Over the winter I managed to pack 30# back on due to inactivity & mild depression, but I have taken 20# back off & hope to be down to 200# or less by fall.

It was much easier to get in the groove this spring & I have already logged over 900 miles W/63 & 78 mile one day rides in already.
    Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 05-02-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Love your sig.
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoyWannaBeSlim
    CHeers Dude Means alot and well done to ya bro, im on list for baratric surgery but i wanna do this the natural way it is hard some days as people can be so shallow. i will lose weight im so determind and have good friends and family for support.
    Lot of big guys on the Clydes forum. You'll find a ton of great advice on everything from bikes to components to where to get larger size bike clothes there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am a big guy too, I am probably getting the Revel 2 but still debating between the 2 and the 1. I did leave a deposit on the 2 though. I was over 300 at one point, then 290 for a few years. I currently am at 245 and 6ft tall. Still wanna drop another 50 and decided to take up biking.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gotta join the list with Fatboy here gang. I'm just getting back into riding and am in a similar weight situation. I did a lot of research and found testimonials from some heavier riders on the Specialized Sport Disc 29er from 2010 so I found and bought one (after a number of test rides, which, incidently, were a challenge in some bike shops! )

I've only ridden it a couple of times so far (just making sure it will hold!) and it has been working so far. I don't plan on doing anything other than surface riding for now but am starting to learn about wheel trueing (sp?) and investing in the materials for that.

Anticipating the need here, does anyone have some real world experience with the Rhyno Lyte rims versus the Mavics? Also, any recommendations about hub sets to use with a triple butted spoke? I'm dedicated to the point of learning how to build my own gear if thats what I need to do to make this work!

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I started biking last fall on a road bike. I weighed 236 lbs on Jan 1 of this year. I now weigh 186. I have lost 50 lbs, I do about 60 miles a week on my road bike and i just bought a used entry level MTB, a felt Q620. Gonna try to get my first trail ride in Wednesday morning. I am 64 years old, with the exercise and weight loss, I am completely off of all meds, including the BP meds and cohlestrol meds. Better than that, I feel great and sleep much better than I have in a long time! Exercise works!

Wayne

Still New
    What can I say other than, "You guys are awesome!" Good for you! If any of you live in Western md I'd love to hook up and go for a ride with you.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just curious if anyone along with the size have any back problems and if so has the biking helped? I am currently going to a chiropractor because i have some minor curves in my spine and was having some back pain. The stretching she showed me to do is helping alot but I am wondering if the biking can help or has helped anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Don't know for sure, but I was having some serious back problems many years go and the Dr. I was seeing at the Texas Back Institute recommended biking at that time. I'm sure each case is different.

I was running 35 miles a week when the back problem started and the Doc told me to NEVER run again becasue I was compressing my spine/discs.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mburdish
    Just curious if anyone along with the size have any back problems and if so has the biking helped? I am currently going to a chiropractor because i have some minor curves in my spine and was having some back pain. The stretching she showed me to do is helping alot but I am wondering if the biking can help or has helped anyone?
    What has helped me is daily yoga. I'm around 250 and in my early 40s. Working out causes a lot of aches and pains when you do it 4 or 5 day in a row. Yoga gets rid of that pain. Get a couple of DVDs and do a half hour before breakfast. After the first week you'll a huge difference.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mburdish
    Just curious if anyone along with the size have any back problems and if so has the biking helped?
    Anything that helps develop core strength will help your back.

I have inherited hyperlordosis (overly curved lower back) and suffered horrible back pain from time to time (forced me to stop competitive fencing). A combination of leg stretches and core strength exercises has almost completely freed me from this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast