1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: headsets

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

headsets

There are so many kinds of headsets around, are there any particular ones that you can put on the frame easier than others without needing all those tools? Thanks.

Freshly Fujified

The short answer is "No"

All 1 1/8" headsets need to be pressed into the headtube. Do you need to buy a headset press to do it? No, you don't. There is a simple way to do the install with a large bolt and a series of washers. Do a search in General Discussion and/or Tool Time for headset press and you should come up with a couple of detailed threads explaining the process.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Cheezy Rider
    Or you could have your LBS do it for 10 bucks or so. I'm all for doing your own wrenching, but I don't like to take a chance on fubarring my frame to save a couple bucks. That said, the bolt-and-washer technique seems to work pretty well.