1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Headset question

Thanks to this site, I was able to replace my headset by myself. I bought an Origin8 headset and the installation was straight forward and pretty easy using my homemade tools. However, I have play in it. No matter what I do, there is always play in it. It seems like the compression ring won't seat properly no matter what I do. I changed out everything except the internal nut for the top cap. Could that be the problem? Anyone else have this headset and has this problem? Thanks for any help.

mtbr member

Headset question

The starnut that sits inside the steerer tube of the fork needs to be snug in order for the top cap to screw down into and compress the headset. If it is moving you won't get any compression. When you screw down top cap does it sandwich the headset tight?

Pictures would help. Did the cups press into the frame straight? Was the frame reamed/faced? What about the spacer stack on the steerer?

I was just assembling a bike yesterday and had to cut a few mm off of the steerer tube because the top cap was snugging up to the top of the steerer without compressing the headset at all. I could tighten the bolt through the top cap until it was totally snug, but it would not eliminate the play in the headset. If you have extra spacers, sometimes all you need is to add one. In my case, I cut the steerer much longer than I needed so I could adjust the bike for fit before the final cutting. So cutting a few mm off wasn't a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Funnyjr, the topcap is not compressing the headset when tightened down. Nate, I do have extra spacers and will try that. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    OK, I installed a spacer between the top of the headset and the bottom of the stem and it now snugs up good. No play at all. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member

Headset question

Good call Nate !!