1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Headset Question

ok ill make this simple what does switching from the one im holding to the one
    that is installed actually do? i have noticed a difference. but only that there
    IS a difference. i do like it that the bars up higher and closer to my
    body. but the stearing and handling are definitely different. i haven't taken
    it out on any trails just yet. just on the road tonight for like 11 miles. felt good
    and comfy. but i wont know what the steering is like until i hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Shorter stem.......quicker steering. Less stable feeling. Good for downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Shorter stem.......quicker steering. Less stable feeling. Good for downhill.
    so with this one i dont have to move the handle bars as much to get the same amount of turn in the wheel?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think it's more about weight distribution. Especially when you're carrying some decent speed and only make small adjustments in the angle of the bars.

I'll be curious to hear how you like it after some trails.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    yeah my main concern for the change too was that the smaller one is beefier than the longer one. alot thicker aluminum(specialized). i am a big guy so i wanted to change it before it snapped on me. and yeah more of my weight will be right over the fork now. instead of our front. which i think is better. im doing a lot more downhill now. and plan to do even more. as soon as i get a new fork.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Actually less of your weight is on the front wheel now.

Your center of mass is somewhere in your torso. Sit more upright, move that point back away from the front wheel.

mtbr member
    yeah when i did a few down hill sections that were pretty steep. i found that i had too much weight up front. and it felt very unstable. i ended up just walking down them. there was one really steep dip that i can never get up too. so ill see what the difference is when i get out later this evening.

mtbr member
    wow i went for some trail rides. i like the new headset a lot! the front tire doesn't rise at all on the steeper climbs. before i would have to really lean forward or even stand ride so it wouldn't pull off the ground. now i can climb sitting with no problems. i adjusted my seat a bit too. feels a lot better. in the turns i felt much more in control than i use to. the shocks up front also felt more responsive. like there was less pressure on them. definitely an overall improvement to my bike. now that i tuned my rear derailleur i transition much faster and smother now too. man as soon as i get a new fork im going to be a trail maniac! there is so much single track and down hill in my town. i cant wait. I have the FEVER!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Give a little thought to a whole new bike. Aftermarket forks are pretty expensive, and while I hate to play upgrade monger, disc brakes are pretty nice too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Give a little thought to a whole new bike. Aftermarket forks are pretty expensive, and while I hate to play upgrade monger, disc brakes are pretty nice too.
    yeah that is really what i want to do. it sucks being broke. i just want to get a shock that actually has some air left in it really. this one is quite flat. better than rigid though. finding a decent used one is harder than it seems.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Univega777 View Post
    wow i went for some trail rides. i like the new headset a lot! the front tire doesn't rise at all on the steeper climbs. before i would have to really lean forward or even stand ride so it wouldn't pull off the ground. now i can climb sitting with no problems. i adjusted my seat a bit too. feels a lot better. in the turns i felt much more in control than i use to. the shocks up front also felt more responsive. like there was less pressure on them. definitely an overall improvement to my bike. now that i tuned my rear derailleur i transition much faster and smother now too. man as soon as i get a new fork im going to be a trail maniac! there is so much single track and down hill in my town. i cant wait. I have the FEVER!
    Feels like an OTB is in your near future.

mtbr member
    OTB? i am not up to snuff on the acronyms yet sorry

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OTB? i am not up to snuff on the acronyms yet sorry
    OTB = Over the Bars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    OTB = Over the Bars
    well thanks a bunch

mtbr member
    May 2006
    well thanks a bunch
    Tends to happen when people first set their bike up to work better going downhill....

It works great and then they get a little overconfident.

mtbr member
    yeah im avoiding the steeper stuff for right now(mainly due to the quality of my bike). i know the terrain well that im biking right now. im sure when i start upping the skill level ill have some doosies.

mtbr member
    wow i went for some trail rides. i like the new headset a lot! ...
    Stem. It's a stem. I think ghettocop's correction in his first reply may was too subtle. Your headset is the round bits on the top and bottom of the aptly named head tube (the part the fork steerer goes through). It has bearings in it. Your stem (or rather the top cap pushing on the stem) preloads the bearings on a threadless headset like you have.

There are threaded headsets as well where the fork steerer tube is threaded and a nut below the stem preloads the bearing. Threaded headsets are generally used with quill stems (a stem that is L shaped and goes inside the steerer tube).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    Stem. It's a stem. I think ghettocop's correction in his first reply may was too subtle. Your headset is the round bits on the top and bottom of the aptly named head tube (the part the fork steerer goes through). It has bearings in it. Your stem (or rather the top cap pushing on the stem) preloads the bearings on a threadless headset like you have.

There are threaded headsets as well where the fork steerer tube is threaded and a nut below the stem preloads the bearing. Threaded headsets are generally used with quill stems (a stem that is L shaped and goes inside the steerer tube).
    ah, i remember calling it a stem when i did BMX. but i looked at a diagram for the parts of a MTB it only designated that area as the headset.

mtbr member
    Was it this one? It kind of does that, it's definitely not pointing at the headset very accurately.

This one is a bit better, but is still missing parts and the headset should probably have two arrows.

To have a proper diagram I think stuff would have to be pulled apart.

mtbr member
    ah thanks. yeah i just googled it. the diagram i looked at didnt even designate the stem. i always called the "chain ring" a sprocket. i am assuming they arent called that anymore?

mtbr member
    I've always heard the front sprocket referred to as a chain ring. The rear cassette (a collection of sprockets) I've heard the terms sprocket and cog used. I'm exhausting my knowledge on bike part nomenclature though .