1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013

Headset creaking and popping

Was riding around the yard doing wheelies before I finished packing for my race,when a creaking developed from my headset.It will do it while the bike is stationary with me not on it and the crank is not being touched. You can turn the handlebars either way and it will do it,I tightened my seat post clamp and greased my seat post and tightened the headset cap and stem.But nothing stopped it.Any one know whats going on?It doesn't seem to affect anything but its just a annoying sound.

mtbr member
    Grease all metal interfaces, most importantly the ones on the steer tube, and between the bar and stem.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you know how to adjust a headset, or did you just blindly tighten it? There are good instructions on parktool.com if you don't know what you're doing.

After that, I'd rebuild the headset (parktool covers this for a cup-and-cone design; for sealed bearing you're on your own but it's easy) and inspect the head tube.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I knew how to adjust it but it didnt help anything.I had my friend show me how to disassemble the heasdset and we cleaned it all and cleaned the bearings and lubed it all up and it is all good now.