1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Is this headset compatible? (time-sensitive situation)

Hi. Please, can anyone tell me if this is compatible? I believe it is, but would like further confirmation. My situation is time-sensitive. I ordered something yesterday & have to refuse delivery, if this Cane Creek fits.

InfinityCycling.com - Cannondale Cups, Tapered, 1 1/8th

It's the first headset at the top of the page... "Cane Creek headset. They are custom designed for a low stack height and a precision fit. Prices include Free Shipping in the USA.headset for 1 1/8th > 1.5 tapered $100.00 USD"

My head tube is 1.5" top & bottom cups. My Fox front shock steerer tube is 1.5" to 1-1/8" tapered. Compatible right? I hope they don't mean 1-1/8" to 1.5" on the head tube.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If the the steerer tube is 1.5" then the cups that go in it need to be the same.But you state that fork is tapered if that is true then the cup that is in there now has been reduced . The headset should work with the fork ,Wheather it works with the frame is another question. What is the frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    If the the steerer tube is 1.5" then the cups that go in it need to be the same.But you state that fork is tapered if that is true then the cup that is in there now has been reduced . The headset should work with the fork ,Wheather it works with the frame is another question. What is the frame?
    Frame is 1999 Cannondale Super V 700. I have a Fox shock coming now. Currently i have the stock Fatty Headshok fork. It's 1.5" top to bottom right now. Sorry for any info i didn't add

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    looking at the picture of the headset in the link you provided, you'll be fine. the cups appear to be the same size (1.5") and it is listed as a tapered headset which means just the ID of the top cup is smaller, to fit the tapered fork tube. also encouraging that the site lists the parts specifically for cannondale.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    looking at the picture of the headset in the link you provided, you'll be fine. the cups appear to be the same size (1.5") and it is listed as a tapered headset which means just the ID of the top cup is smaller, to fit the tapered fork tube. also encouraging that the site lists the parts specifically for cannondale.
    Thank you very much RTM for the confirmation. Yes i agree the top & bottom cups appear to be 1.5".