1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Head Set bearings for 1998 breezer tornado - female

Ok, I am having one heck of a time getting trying to find the correct:
    1. Fork crown race
    2. Lower bearing race
    3. Centering sleeve
    4. upper bearing race
    5. Adjusting bearing race

What I know for this bike from Breezer directly is it originally had a Cane Creek C-2 1-1/8 headset part # HS2032. The sad part is this is no longer available that I can find any where. Google seaching this part number is coming up with cricket sounds.

I have mic'd the dimensions of the built in bottom race cup as follows:
    ID inner race = 36mm
    ID inner race = 45mm
    stack height = 11 mm

The remaining bottom bearing race way was still intact and it measured:
    ID = 32 mm
    ID = 42 mm
    OD = 44.6 mm
    Stack height = 6mm

Top cup measures as follows:
    ID = 36 mm
    ID = 45 mm
    Stack height of cup = 5 mm

I have some photos of this head tube arrangement if this would help I would post.

Can any one advise me where I can purchase the correct five items for this set up.

I am using a 1-1/8" rock shock reba RL 26" 100mm front fork.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why wouldn't any random 1 1/8" headset work? Shouldn't need the same one.

Picture Unrelated
    Finding all those replacement parts for that particular headset will be difficult. You could try taking a visit to a good old bike shop with their junk bins full of this sort of stuff, but I would just suggest getting a new headset. You have enough missing that it will be beneficial to just go new on this one.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I guess I missed mentioning that the 1998 breezer has intergrated cups welded on the top and bottom of the steer tube. That is the dimensioning I am calling out. I would convert to a chris king head set in a second if I could, but unless I grind off the cups I can not insert a different brand of head set cups.

Picture Unrelated
    Try posting this in the Vintage/Retro forum segment. Also, I would suggest against running a 100mm fork, you'll probably find it flops at that long travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What I have discovered is that I need a ACB 36x45 44mm bearing for the bottom. th-873 is a ABC 36 x 45 41mm. Any one know who makes a ACB 36x45 44mm bearing still ?

What could go wrong ...
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestmiller View Post
    I guess I missed mentioning that the 1998 breezer has intergrated cups welded on the top and bottom of the steer tube.
    where did you get this info from?

That bike came stock with a Dia Compe Aheadset ...

Breezer Specs
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    zebrahum - too late on the 100mm fork length; I am all ready sitting with it in the shop from e-bay vender. I have the same on another bike and it handles great. This one is a 15.5" FSR frame and the other is a 21" hard tail , might be an issue?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Zoke2 - This is the e-mail reply I got from Breezer:

Hi Forrest,

The top cup should be a standard 1 1/8 Aheadset press-fit, and the bottom is an 1 1/8 fully-integrated cartridge bearing (45 degree taper). Joe was the first to use integrated headset bearings on a production bike, but he only used them for the bottom bearing as they were so unknown to people at the time. Baby steps! Joes spec notes are also below:

Twister/Tornado HEAD BEARINGS

Twister/Tornado headset cartridge bearings can be found in the USA at two sources.

The bearing(s) are used in the Cane Creek C-2 1-1/8 headset.
    The Cane Creek part number .HS2032
    (I believe Cane Creek refers to this bearing as the ICBM bearing) The bearings come as a pair.

They are available from:
    Cane Creek Components
    335 Cane Creek Road
    Fletcher, NC 28732
    Phone: 704 684 3551
    800 234 2725
    Fax: 704 684 1057

What could go wrong ...
    yes, then you should be able to source all the parts you need from Cane Creek as they sell all the parts individually. If they cant help you try vxb.com

nice bike ...
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestmiller View Post
    What I have discovered is that I need a ACB 36x45 44mm bearing for the bottom. th-873 is a ABC 36 x 45 41mm. Any one know who makes a ACB 36x45 44mm bearing still ?
    Unfortunately, I can't find much to be helpful for these bearings. Enduro makes lots of bearings for the bicycle industry but I don't see any these sizes. I've look at McMaster Carr and can't seem to find your sizes. I would take two approaches from here: first send a message to Cane Creek and ask for whatever help they can give you. They will know their products best. Second, find a local ball bearing distributor and talk to them about what sizes you are looking for. They should be able to give you a yes or no about if they can get it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i checking out the enduro site - hopefully they might have a solution.

thanks all

AZ
    banned
    Try your local bearing house. Bearings are rarely if ever bicycle specific.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    no luck with enduro - sent email to cranecreek contact e-mail - maybe this will get a solution?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Update - Talked with tech at Crane creek and he recommended and sold me a ICBM 11/8 BLACK discontinued model that we think will fit.

I will post if this does the trick.

Thanks to all for the support.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The icbm 1-1/8 45 x 45 did the trick. Just finished converting the 1998 tornado breezer to a disc brake system now. any one interested in the photo results?

Titanium junkie
    Of course^^^^
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here she be!

http://forums.mtbr.com/members/forre...eel-disc-side/

I used a device called a brake theropy for the rear end- great device so far.

Last edited by forrestmiller; 08-16-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: First photo not posting