1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Have you ever been burned selling mountain bike parts on eBay?

First of all, I don't want this thread to turn into a "I hate PayPal or eBay" thread, and I'm only interested in hearing about your mountain bike or part related selling experiences. I have some new mountain bike parts I want to sell on eBay that I have not used, that I can't return for a refund. I simply want know whether or not you have had any negative experiences selling mountain bike parts on eBay. Based on my experiences in this forum, I would imagine that most mountain bike buyers are pretty straight forward and honest, so I'm not too concerned, but there are always knuckleheads out there that abuse the system.

banned
    Mar 2011
    By any chance if you have a 26 inch Weinham WTB double wall rear wheel with disc ..I'll take it!!

It's all about the FSR!
    I have had several bad experiences selling on eBay. I have had some good, but quite a few bad, and it has soured me from the whole experience. Way too many idiots and scammers with hacked PayPal accounts just waiting to pounce.

I have not sold bike parts, but have sold other things.

T.W.O.
    Why not post it here on the classified or your local classified forum. eBay is ok but the cost is more listing, percentage then PayPal also gets a cut. Figure out the flat rate shipping because the auto-calculation on eBay sucks. I used to sell quite a bit on eBay but no more, I rather deal with the members here or my local forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Where are the classifieds? I didn't see them on the main page - perhaps I'm blid. Do you have the link?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Where are the classifieds? I didn't see them on the main page - perhaps I'm blid. Do you have the link?

Main Index - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Top of the page where it says reviews, forums, photos, classifieds etc. To the OP I have sold literally thousands of bike parts on ebay, I build and restore alot of bikes and I often buy bikes to part out and I just keep the parts I need. It works well for me because I get the parts I need and sometimes I even make a little money. I bought a bike recently just for the nice King/Mavic 819 wheels. After selling I ended up almost breaking even. I basically paid $25 bucks for a high end set of wheels but there was alot of work involved cleaning the parts I sold but when money is tight and you need new wheels you do what you can.

I have had mostly good experiences with buyers. I have had 3 experiences that made me want to quit selling there forever. Just watch out for low feedback or 0 feedback buyers. I often cancel their bids. I had one guy recently who bought a set of vintage used pedals off me. My listing clearly stated they were used and may need new bearings but he bid them up to $45 bucks anyway which was a suprise to me. I shipped them and he was not happy with them. I let him return them even though the auction said no returns and I refunded every penny of his money plus return shipping and the tool still left me negative feedback. If I was knew I was going to get my feedback score burned I would have just kept his money. I asked him to revise his feedback and he told me to F off. Thats ok, I have his home address and his email.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

YTV
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have personally sold over 80,000 items on ebay since January 2000. Only about 100 or so of them bike parts though (BMX). As a seller, selling that many things I have obvisously ran into situations before, scammers, stolen credit cards, etc. But as long as you ship to the paypal address listed on the payment page and require a signature on anything over $250 you will be fine. I've had hundreds of ebay/paypal cases/chargebacks opened against me and have won every single one of them. You just have to follow those 2 simple rules. I've never lost a dime as a seller besides ebays crazy fees that is.