1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    What is a lurker?
    Oct 2013

Have a Diamondback Sorrento with bad shocks. What is a good cheap replacement?

I am 195 Lbs and I am bottoming out the front shocks on my bike. What is a good replacement that'll hold my weight? I am interested in the Suntours. And also what is "lurker" beneath my name mean?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    THe cheepest is a rigid ,that will hold your weight. Check ebay for used .Suntour forks don't have the name that other forks have ,mostly they are low end bike path forks , Are you riding off road? A lurker is someone who just looks and reads and doesn't add /post anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Re: Have a Diamondback Sorrento with bad shocks. What is a good cheap replacement?

Bikeman.com generally carries Kona p2 rigid forks for around 69 bucks.

I'm pretty stoked on the Identiti Rebate fork that's on the way for my burly rigid. Taller A2C.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

What is a lurker?
    Oct 2013
    Yes I am riding off road and on trails, semi-aggressive. I love jumps and yesterday it was bottoming out. I also bent my handle-bar and had to rebend the ends upwards...So Suntour Forks won't cut it for me? Are they mostly coil spring loaded? So do you mean they won't have ones that will support my weight? You're suggesting, either get a rigid front or buy a high end oil/air charged shock?

What is a lurker?
    Oct 2013
    Thanks, but I really like front shocks. Do you think the Suntours will hold my weight? I don't know how I bent my bars, but woudn't a rigid make it easier for me to bend them again??

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    How much money do you want to spend ?

What's your old fork ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are suntour forks that will work for you ,they aren't cheep. Used is the way to save $ .Some shops have take offs ,those are new parts that someone upgraded before the bike left the shop. You should replace those bars ,they will bend again and maybe break. Ebay ,pinkbike ,Craigs list for used parts.

What is a lurker?
    Oct 2013
    Under 150 is my budget. My old fork is a Trail XC 50mm travel.

What is a lurker?
    Oct 2013
    Thanks rangerriderdave. I'll maybe try that route.