mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Has anyone tried making there own energy drink?

Ive been thinking of trying to make my own powdered energy drink to mix in my camelbak to save a little money. I know you can get most of the ingrediants found in frs or the elixir tablets in bulk in powdered form Quercetin, Taurine, Guarana, b12. I was just wondering if anyone else has experimented with this.

May 2009
    I have made electrolite drink but thats it. Who would want an energy drink while riding. Straight water is good.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    sounds kinda gross having a camelbak full of energy drink...

mtbr member
    I used to do that for hiking. Not in a CB though. I just used water a pinch of salt, teaspoon of honey and some lemon juice. Worked great.

Blue Pig
    I just stopped eating **** food and started drinking water and working out... I have enough energy to walk the great wall of china.
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    There are two different types of "drinks":

Energy Drink (along the lines of Red Bull): http://www.ehow.com/how_4468476_own-energy-drink.html (not to be consumed within 30 minutes of exercising)

Sports Drink (along the lines of Gatorade/Powerade): http://www.roadcycler.com/2006/08/sc...-sports-drink/

I could see filling a Camelbak with the latter, but not the former.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I usually mix orange juice and water together.

Former Bike Wrench
    Nothing but water goes in my Camelback...don't need the hassle of nasty crap growing in it. But I do make my own sports drink mix for a water bottle (not energy drink).

mtbr member
    I bring nothing but water on my rides, if I need energy I'll eat a Power Bar or Gu.

local jackass
    never tried it but i use nuun though
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Water in the CB. Small shampoo bottle size of Honey, lemon, coconut milk, mollasses, protein powder, cinammon for a little energy.

^ That's what I do
    You should all just buy Powerthirst.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qRuNxHqwazs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qRuNxHqwazs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Water only in the bladder.

I will occasionally mix some Propel in a water bottle... just for some flavor.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I too have thought about putting gatorade in my camelback, but as already said. I don't want to have to clean it out that well, or that often. Maybe on some really long rides in really hot weather.

mtbr member

mountain bike action recovery or rip off (homebrew)

an eight ounce serving of gatorade gives you
    14 grams carbohydrate (5.9percent)
    110 mg sodium
    30mg potassium
    52 calories
    you can get close to the same results with this recipe.
    start with a two-quart container
    add 5/8 cups sugar
    .75 tablespoons of morton lite salt
    and one package of unsweetened kool aid mix for flavor,fill container with water and mix
    an eight ounce serving should give you about
    14 grams of carbohydrate (6 percent)
    103mg sodium
    121 mg potassium
    53 calories

this is from the march 2010 mountainbike action magazine article recovery or rip-off?
    examining the effectivness of recovery drinks

i made this recipe and it did not taste half bad try it out you might like it or you might not.
    i usually put mine in a water bottle on the frame and carry only water in my camelbak

mtbr member
    if you're riding for less than 3 or 4 hours, you're wasting time/money even thinking about that stuff.

during summer, drink water until you're almost sloshy feeling before a ride. it might feel uncomfortable for 5 or 10 minutes tops, but you'll notice a difference a few hours in! its way easier to stay properly hydrated when you start hydrated. if you go in with your body in a state of partial dehydration as-is, you'll be playing catchup the whole ride.

if its only a couple hours ride, grab a small bite of REAL food before the ride.

you'll have more energy, bonk less, and recover better if you skip the chemical food crap for short rides. sounds backwards, but skip that stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Makes me think of the episode of Viva La Bam were they have the state of Bam and create their own MoonShine.

Yeh, as stated, water with some sugar content.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A bit off topic but a small can of Red Bull mixed with 12 ounces of flat Sierra Mist soda is the most refreshing re-energizing drink I've ever had.
    2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Members who have read this thread: 0