1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

haro x3 for a newbie?

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie and this will be my first real mtb. I have had a few walmart bikes in the past, and have just mainly done a little gravel/dirt roads but nothing extreme. I did a little research on both, and they seem to be great for the money. But the X3 is just a little heavy and the rear shocks arent so great. I didn't find much on the X6. I found a used X3 for about $850 and a new X6 at for $900 at richard's bikes. I am planning to do a little more trails this summer. Just do get you guys an idea of my size, I'm 5'7 and 160lbs. I'm sorry if I'm asking anything stupid, but any help would be very much appreciated.

Freshly Fujified

What year x3?

Depending on how much abuse the X3 has taken, it could be a decent buy. I'm not sure what year x3 you're talking about, so I can't comment on the quality of the shock. I've looked at the specs on what I beleieve to be an '06 X6, and frankly, it's decent, but I question the fork. Tough call. My gut instincts say look further into the X3 and look for signs of wear and abuse.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    May 2006
    it is a 06 X3, what should I look for when I am checking out the bike? thanks