1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    34

    Harley Davidson 26" Mountain Bike

    A buddy of mine picked up a dark blue 26", 21 speed Harley mountain bike for $150. What can you guys tell me about this bike, all I know is it's above specs and that it's dual suspension, equipped w/ disc brakes but I thought with a size like 26", that that would indicate a kids bike but it seems large and he said it's called a "men's 26". Any info or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You,
    Ryan

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    I'm sorry to say that bicycle is not a mountain bike, but a mountain bike style bicycle with a Harley Davidson Theme. It is similar to bikes you can get a Target and Wal-Mart for about $150.

    The bike is designed for a casual cyclist who will only ride on paved or dirt path. It will not last very long for any true mountain biking.

    http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/26-h...n-boys-bicycle

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtail Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    206
    i think its a ToysRus bike
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

  4. #4
    I just let one RIP
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,143
    26" is the wheel size. Most mountain bikes use 26" wheels, but the frames differ in sizes for different rider heights. From the name, price, and description of the bike in question, it is clear that the bike is a department store bike. Only one size, sized for a young teenager (or shorter adult).

    See the thread titled "Beginners and Dept store bikes." If reassembled at a shop (the assembly job done by most department stores doesn't normally deserve to be called 'assembled'), the bike will probably be fine for riding around the neighborhood or paved paths. It's not really designed to be ridden like a true mountain bike (I wouldn't be surprised if it had one of those little stickers that says, "do not ride off-road" on the top tube).

    For reference, a quality full suspension bike will start in the $800-900 range (and some may argue you would need to spend much more than that for a quality dual suspension).

    Hope that helps.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Learjet35A
    A buddy of mine picked up a dark blue 26", 21 speed Harley mountain bike for $150. What can you guys tell me about this bike, all I know is it's above specs and that it's dual suspension, equipped w/ disc brakes but I thought with a size like 26", that that would indicate a kids bike but it seems large and he said it's called a "men's 26". Any info or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You,
    Ryan
    I can guarantee that it's a POS. Why do you care?

  6. #6
    Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Reputation: mike_d_1583's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    244
    I think it is just meant to be looked at. Any off-road riding could spell dire consequences for you and your entire city.
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

  7. #7
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    Your Troll-fu is weak....

    Quote Originally Posted by Learjet35A
    A buddy of mine picked up a dark blue 26", 21 speed Harley mountain bike for $150. What can you guys tell me about this bike, all I know is it's above specs and that it's dual suspension, equipped w/ disc brakes but I thought with a size like 26", that that would indicate a kids bike but it seems large and he said it's called a "men's 26". Any info or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You,
    Ryan
    You have a 2008 Specialized. You shouldn't share your bike specs and then troll.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    34
    Ken in KC, I don't understand your comment. Yes, I do have a 2008 Specialized but I was asking about the bike that my buddy picked up on craigslist that I'm not fimiliar with, so I posted it here.

    Thanks for all other responses.

  9. #9
    Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Reputation: mike_d_1583's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    You have a 2008 Specialized. You shouldn't share your bike specs and then troll.
    What you were you trying to say? Explain what "troll" is supposed to mean.
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

  10. #10
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    Google is your friend

    Quote Originally Posted by mike_d_1583
    What you were you trying to say? Explain what "troll" is supposed to mean.
    internet troll. Happy Googling.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    34
    Ken, I just read the definition and I assure you that I did not post this to start crap like you're saying. I simply wanted to know if my friend got a good bike or a POS and I found out that it is indeed a POS. That's all, sorry if I pissed you off by asking an innocent question.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,575
    As others have accurately stated, whenever you see the spec 26" in the title, it's a bad sign. All department stores tend to label their bikes this way (wheel size) but your bike shops are going to use the frame size (either a number which is often the length of the top tube or a letter: s,m,l, xl and so on) for identification.

    For the most part, 26 inch wheels are accepted as the norm on adult mountain bikes while 29 inch wheels, 650B (27.5 inch), or combinations of these sizes are usually integrated into the name. Examples: Salsa Dos Niner, Carver 96er, Niner R.I.P.9 and so on.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cyrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    735
    Learjet, tell your buddy good luck with his worthless bike. I'll be sure to keep him in my prayers if he ever attempts to take it on some real trails. Next time he feels like dropping coin on something like that here's what I want you to do. Sit him down. Explain to him that bikes of that ilk are useless and not worth the price, nay, the excrement the man who designed them dropped in the toilet. Then sit back and slowly raise your right hand back behind your head and move it forward in a fast arching motion until the palm of your hand meets his face. Rinse, and repeat until he understands your point. If he still doesn't understand.... One word: Chainsaw.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

  14. #14
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,379
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTwisted
    ... your bike shops are going to use the frame size (either a number which is often the length of the top tube or a letter: s,m,l, xl and so on) for identification.

    .
    FWIW bike sizes normally indicates frame size based on the seat tube length (and how that's measured is all over the place, too).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    34
    Thanks again for the replies! I almost feel bad for my friend because he was so excited to get a "great" bike for cruising around town on and we were both under the impression that Harley actually manufactured the product. He bought the bike to get in shape and plans to ride it between 30 and 45 minutes a night after work, no off-roading.

    You guys rock,
    Ryan

  16. #16
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,897
    I am sure that bike can be used for cruising around town. Just check that no major components (wheels, fork, bar, seat, ...) are about to fall off.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    I'm sorry to say that bicycle is not a mountain bike, but a mountain bike style bicycle with a Harley Davidson Theme. It is similar to bikes you can get a Target and Wal-Mart for about $150.

    The bike is designed for a casual cyclist who will only ride on paved or dirt path. It will not last very long for any true mountain biking.

    http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/26-h...n-boys-bicycle
    I'm stunned that Harley Davidson agreed for a bike like that to be branded HD. As much as I don't care for their motorcycles, they are brilliant marketers and brand image masters.

    Ride it till the wheels fall off.......
    Last edited by yokine; 02-17-2009 at 07:16 AM.

  18. #18
    MTBR Member
    Reputation: ncfisherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,810
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I am sure that bike can be used for cruising around town. Just check that no major components (wheels, fork, bar, seat, ...) are about to fall off.
    Yeah, run some wrenches over it for sure. And tell him to get a helmet.

  19. #19
    what, no trials?
    Reputation: BeatAFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    129
    we were both under the impression that Harley actually manufactured the product.
    Sorry, but that made me lol...............

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    357
    tell your buddy to have fun riding. hopefully he'll get addicted to it and make the move to something decent. while i've got a few nice rides, i try not to be an "a"hole to those that have cheap bikes.

    riding bikes is fun. riding nice bikes might be more fun, but it's silly to be condescending to those with inferior bikes.

  21. #21
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    You have a 2008 Specialized. You shouldn't share your bike specs and then troll.
    Who pissed in your cornflakes?

    If you can't handle dumb questions, stay out of the beginner's forum

  22. #22
    (not that fast)
    Reputation: fastale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by yokine
    I'm stunned that Harley Davidson agreed for a bike like that to be branded HD.
    Why? Harley makes more money from T shirts than motorcycles. They brand everything from trucks to bean bags to beer. Someone should inform the marketing gurus there that branding a beach cruiser would be a better fit for their image.
    Last edited by fastale; 02-17-2009 at 08:16 PM.

  23. #23
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Learjet35A
    He bought the bike to get in shape and plans to ride it between 30 and 45 minutes a night after work, no off-roading.
    If your friend is not going to ride off-road why did he buy a dual suspension bike?
    I suppose your friend will get fitter much quicker on this bike as there'll be so much more energy used and wasted with the suspension bobbing up and down as he rides.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Iridethedirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix
    Learjet, tell your buddy good luck with his worthless bike. I'll be sure to keep him in my prayers if he ever attempts to take it on some real trails. Next time he feels like dropping coin on something like that here's what I want you to do. Sit him down. Explain to him that bikes of that ilk are useless and not worth the price, nay, the excrement the man who designed them dropped in the toilet. Then sit back and slowly raise your right hand back behind your head and move it forward in a fast arching motion until the palm of your hand meets his face. Rinse, and repeat until he understands your point. If he still doesn't understand.... One word: Chainsaw.


    wow. you guys are amazing. this bike will indeed not hold up to riding serious singletrack, hopping logs, etc etc etc.... but that doesnt make it worthless... if it helps him catch the cycling bug, its worth something. if you run some wrenches over it, adjust deraileurs, etc etc... he could have a halfway decent experiance riding around paved trails for some exercise. I cannot believe how many gear snobs we have on these forums.
    your advice is for this guy, who's trying to find out a bit more about a bike his buddy picked up for less than some of you spend on a freakin seat, is to basically make his friend feel as bad as he possibly can about it? you're the same kind of person who would pass someone on a dept. store bike with a flat tire, laugh at him, tell him "thats what you get sucka!" and ride on, maybe even scold him for buying such a worthless bike, then tell him that he should have been "...prepared for a flat, how stupid are you to ride into the woods without patches and a pump anyway!?" I've said it before, and I'll say it again... while the addage "buy it nice or buy it twice" has a real place in the world of cycling, and especially in mountain biking, why would you discourage someone from riding a bike just because its not a high dollar name brand bike, he isnt even planning on shredding his local singletrack... good grief people.... yes, if he find that he likes riding his bike, and keeps up with riding it regularly, eventually that bike will become a frustration, and you could help your friend buy a quality used bike for a couple hundred, maybe a touch more, and he would be much more satisfied with his experiance on the bike.... but wow, way to be an ambassador to your sport.

  25. #25
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    Or....

    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt
    wow. you guys are amazing. this bike will indeed not hold up to riding serious singletrack, hopping logs, etc etc etc.... but that doesnt make it worthless... if it helps him catch the cycling bug, its worth something. if you run some wrenches over it, adjust deraileurs, etc etc... he could have a halfway decent experiance riding around paved trails for some exercise. I cannot believe how many gear snobs we have on these forums.
    your advice is for this guy, who's trying to find out a bit more about a bike his buddy picked up for less than some of you spend on a freakin seat, is to basically make his friend feel as bad as he possibly can about it? you're the same kind of person who would pass someone on a dept. store bike with a flat tire, laugh at him, tell him "thats what you get sucka!" and ride on, maybe even scold him for buying such a worthless bike, then tell him that he should have been "...prepared for a flat, how stupid are you to ride into the woods without patches and a pump anyway!?" I've said it before, and I'll say it again... while the addage "buy it nice or buy it twice" has a real place in the world of cycling, and especially in mountain biking, why would you discourage someone from riding a bike just because its not a high dollar name brand bike, he isnt even planning on shredding his local singletrack... good grief people.... yes, if he find that he likes riding his bike, and keeps up with riding it regularly, eventually that bike will become a frustration, and you could help your friend buy a quality used bike for a couple hundred, maybe a touch more, and he would be much more satisfied with his experiance on the bike.... but wow, way to be an ambassador to your sport.
    He could hate it because it's a POS and people filled him full of false hope. Because the bike was such a poor representation of what a mountain bike is, the guy quits in frustration.

    We can all play the hyperbole game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •