1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hardrock Sport handlebar quality..upgrade?

I recently decided to come out of a 26 yr. retirement from BMX racing and get back into biking again @ age 42. After some brief research and limited budget I just purchase an '08 Hardrock Sport and I love it! I haven't done much dirt/trail riding yet but I definitely plan on hitting trails, jumps etc. Anyhoo... I don't feel the need to do any major upgrades at this point but I'm thinking maybe a bit wider/higher on the bars would be more my style. I don't want to spend too much money or end up with something inferior to the stock bars but I have no idea of the quality/cost of them either:

STEM Specialized 3D forged alloy, two bolt, 25.4mm, 10 degree rise

HANDLEBARS Alloy 25.4mm, 640mm wide, 38mm rise, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep, 3.2mm thick

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive upgrade? Should I also replace the stem?

Is something like this even worth considering?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=024

TIA

P.S. How do I measure stem length on the stock stem? end-end? Center-Center?

J
    Last edited by Thade; 06-25-2008 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    With those bars you will need to replace your stem to a 31.8 diameter. I got the same bike and put a 31.8 Specialized comp stem and enduro bars to beef it up some. Good luck.

sweet!
    All my riding buddies and I recomend Titec Hellbent Gold, strong, light and bent just right 8 deg. back sweep, and 4 deg. up sweep.
    http://www.titec.com/pdmain.php?class=1&series=2

Stem length is measured from the center of the steer tube clamp to the center of the handlebar clamp.

The 24.5 mm denotes the dia.of the handlebar clamp.
    Good luck!
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez