1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hard Rock vs Rock Hopper

I have both an older Hard Rock and Rock Hopper, both need some work and I plan to get one up and running. I know the Rock Hopper was a higher priced bike than the Hard Rock; is the Rock Hopper a better frame than the Hard Rock or is the difference only in the better components on the Rock Hopper?

Thanks,
    D

A Mountainside=My Therapy
    Will both fit you equally?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Rockhopper frame is better. Lighter with slightly more aggressive geometry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The RockHopper is a little better fit. I don't plan on doing any climbing with this bike; how would it work as an old school 1 x 7?

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Loved my Hard Rock. Than it was stolen.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Which frame is better depends on the years. In any given year, Specialized used a fancier alloy for the Rockhopper. But some of that stuff trickled down, so a 2000s Hardrock might be better than a '90s Rockhopper.

Since the 'hopper fits you better, though, that would be my pick for a bike to fix up.

1x7 would suck. IMHO. It uses either a freewheel, which are obsolete for a reason, or a 7-speed cassette, which has an overall width that matches nothing else. But I could see 1x8. Cheap, reliable parts and good cross-compatibility for the large-ticket items.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post

1x7 would suck. IMHO. It uses either a freewheel, which are obsolete for a reason, or a 7-speed cassette, which has an overall width that matches nothing else. But I could see 1x8. Cheap, reliable parts and good cross-compatibility for the large-ticket items.
    If you've already got wheels, and they're built for 7 speed, you'll need to stick with 7. (Cassette carrier on the hub is shorter for 7 than 8/9.) Deciding what gearing to go with would really mostly have to do with what parts you already have around and how much you want to spend on newer stuff.

Got any pics of the bikes?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.