1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Happy medium?

Dirt Slinger

Happy medium?

Hey guys,
    i ride some single track, a lot of road, and cross country. I have a giant rincon 2010. It came with kenda small block eight's. these tires have done almost 1000 miles, 4/5 of them probably on the road. The middle two knobs are getting small (1 mm). I am thinking of getting either the Kenda Happy Mediums or the Kenda Slant-Sixes. Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You might find these threads useful:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/kno...nt-856912.html
    Kenda Happy Medium?

That Happy Medium looks really interesting there. Looks like that could be a lot of fun to ride.

The WTB Nano Raptor comes to mind. The Continental Race King would be another good option. I can think of a few others what would roll well on pavement, like Schwalbe Rocket Rons and Stan's Ravens, but I suspect they might not be very durable on the road.

Dirt Slinger
    Hmm interesting, I'm going to see if I can find some happy mediums real life and maybe some rocket Ron's too. Anyway thanks

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I inherited some Happy Mediums on a used Salsa Fargo and they really surprised me. Really a great tire, and they would've been keepers if they had been the tubeless version.

I now have Nanos and they do decently on singletrack and roll well on pavement. Any tire in this class is going to get a little sketchy as a front when doing anything rough. Example: I ran tubeless Nano 29rs on last year's ORAMM and while they were great on all the gravel and climbing, I wasn't exactly hauling down the 5-mile downhill.

Schwalbe tires (Rocket Rons) as well as the Conti Race Kings tend to wear quickly, and they're pricey as hell. I wouldn't use them on pavement.

One thing though: if you've worn the middle knobs on a SB8 to 1mm, you've basically made a Happy Medium...