Thread: Happy medium?

Dirt Slinger

Happy medium?

Hey guys,
    i ride some single track, a lot of road, and cross country. I have a giant rincon 2010. It came with kenda small block eight's. these tires have done almost 1000 miles, 4/5 of them probably on the road. The middle two knobs are getting small (1 mm). I am thinking of getting either the Kenda Happy Mediums or the Kenda Slant-Sixes. Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You might find these threads useful:

Knobbies on pavement
    Kenda Happy Medium?

That Happy Medium looks really interesting there. Looks like that could be a lot of fun to ride.

The WTB Nano Raptor comes to mind. The Continental Race King would be another good option. I can think of a few others what would roll well on pavement, like Schwalbe Rocket Rons and Stan's Ravens, but I suspect they might not be very durable on the road.

Dirt Slinger
    Hmm interesting, I'm going to see if I can find some happy mediums real life and maybe some rocket Ron's too. Anyway thanks

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I inherited some Happy Mediums on a used Salsa Fargo and they really surprised me. Really a great tire, and they would've been keepers if they had been the tubeless version.

I now have Nanos and they do decently on singletrack and roll well on pavement. Any tire in this class is going to get a little sketchy as a front when doing anything rough. Example: I ran tubeless Nano 29rs on last year's ORAMM and while they were great on all the gravel and climbing, I wasn't exactly hauling down the 5-mile downhill.

Schwalbe tires (Rocket Rons) as well as the Conti Race Kings tend to wear quickly, and they're pricey as hell. I wouldn't use them on pavement.

One thing though: if you've worn the middle knobs on a SB8 to 1mm, you've basically made a Happy Medium...