mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Hanger bolt not staying (lubrication mistake)

I'm sorry for all these posts, I've posted 2 previous, but I trust the information I receive from here.

Anywho, yesterday I was cleaning my bike and was re-lubricating some of the parts of my bike. I try to re-lubricate a wheel that was squeaking on my rear derailleur, but I accidentally got some of it on the joint that's suppose to hold the tension on the derailleur (I think it's called the Hanger Bolt)...so now it's not staying down, anytime I go anywhere bumpy, it just folds back in. and bounces up and down, clacking on my rear fork.

Is there anyway I can fix this problem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'd post a picture, but for some reason, I can't get them to upload on here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A photo might help but it is not uncommon for your RD to bounce up and down some while navigating bumpy terrain. If it is really bumpy it may bounce quite a bit. If everything is still shifting ok and the RD is still holding proper spring tension I don't think you have anything to worry about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Lew View Post
    I'd post a picture, but for some reason, I can't get them to upload on here.
    Use tinypic.com or a similar site...
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 10:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I mean I can still ride the bike, but when the RD is folding so much that it's making the chains almost parallel, I think something must be wrong. The tension is quite loose, and my shifting is skipping a bit and is inconsistent *even more so than before* for example, I can't shift from 6th to 7th anymore *or it takes like 600m before it switches* and shifting from 6th to 5th makes it jump all the way down to 4th..

Fat-tired Roadie
    Take your rear derailleur off and clean the surfaces that the hanger bolt squeezes together. Reassemble, and torque that bolt like you mean it.

Most derailleur hangers have a little tab on them. It's for a screw that's present on mid-range and higher derailleurs, that controls the angle of the derailleur body - basically what you're fighting with. Does your derailleur hanger have that?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hmm ok, is there any proper way to clean the derailleur? like cleaning products of some sort? And I'm not exactly sure about that tab you're talking about, like I think I know what you're talking about, but I don't think I have seen something like that on this ancient rigid of mine, I think I've seen it on my father's Cannondale though. I do know there is a part on the derailleur that does tighten the tension and I also have the two screws to adjust the derailleur side to side and such, but I haven't gotten the chance to work on that part since I figure there's not point until I get the hanger bolt to stick in one place.

mtbr member
    Perhaps a trip to your LBS is in order.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ohh wait I take back what I said, I think I get what you're talking about, it's bolt thing for the screw where you tighten that part to hold the derailleur in place...Yea my father has been tightening it, but he said the same thing as you, just clean off the area and get it as clean as possible. He also mentioned trying to add a fine sand paper ring around the area to operate as a gasket to allow even more grip after it's tightened.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1 View Post
    Perhaps a trip to your LBS is in order.
    haha maybe, but my dad has worked with bikes and built up bikes from frame up, not to mention my next door neighbors are a total bike enthusiasts and race bikes in local events all the way to national events, so before making a trip out to the LBS, I'll talk to them first if and when they have time. A funny off-topic thing is that one time I saw my neighbors all the way in Palo Alto Downtown which is quite far from where we live *not to mention all the ferocious winds from the bay*, they came on their tandem bike, both he and his wife are always riding everywhere lols, in fact I've seen them as far as San Francisco completely on bike.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Like 'Switch said, undo what you did to start the problem. Remove parts and perhaps clean mating surfaces with alcohol and torque to proper values after orienting the derailleur correctly. I'd spend $4 on a new derailleur cable as well, your's appears to be toast. It does not appear that there is a B screw tab on the derailleur hanger or a B screw on the RD as 'Switch asked.

You can clean the gunk from your RD by spraying some Simple Green on it and hosing it off. I'd refrain from too much of that over time, though.

mtbr member
    the picture you posted showed a little little gear combo (cross chaining) which will put the derailer that kind of position

Fat-tired Roadie
    Alcohol or a purpose-sold degreaser would probably both be fine. Sanding the paint off the mating surface might be helpful too, although if air and water can sneak in there, you might get rust later.

A commercial lock washer could help too, if it didn't mess with the spacing too much.

After you remove the rear derailleur and before you do anything else, post another pic of the hanger.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I find dish soap to be a good degrease.