1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Wink Handlebar and Stem queries

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new handlebar and was wondering if the one I'm going to get will fit the stem or help with the measurements.
    I have a Rockrider 5.3 2013

This is the handle bar I'm looking to purchase http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A...AC_SX110_SY165

You reckon it would fit?

And if not have you any advise on what type of stem I should get?

Sorry for being such a n00b.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Loo at your current bar, if its skinny in the middle, it a 25.4, if its fat its a 31.6.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Loo at your current bar, if its skinny in the middle, it a 25.4, if its fat its a 31.6.

Yeah, it's wider in the middle.
    Thanks a lot man.

Another quick question, is there much variety in stem sizes (the part that attaches to your fork) ?

The Fastest of Bananas
    A lot. Anywhere from 20mm to 150 or most. Most are roughly 90mm. You can measure this and mess with it for fit.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Ashley, there is a lot of variety in stem sizes. You'll need a stem that fits a 1-1/8" (28.6mm) steerer tube, and a 31.8mm handlebar. After that comes the trickiest part.

Stems vary in length and angle of rise from the steerer tube. These differences determine how far the bar will be away from the steerer tube (length) and how high (or low) the bar will sit (angle).

The average length stem these days is usually in the 90mm to 100mm length range, and usually less than 10 rise. Just looking at a picture of your bike, it looks to be about 100mm long and probably 6 to 8 rise. The stem usually has these numbers printed on it somewhere. Sometimes you have to take the handlebar off to see them inside of the part where the bar is mounted, or they may be printed elsewhere on the stem, and usually in very small letters.

If you like the way your bike works and fits already, try to stick with the same length and angle that you currently have. Even small differences can be felt, and could affect how the bike handles. Bike fit is many times a series of compromises. You give up something to get something. Sometimes it's easy to give up one thing for something else you deem to be more important.

If you want to experiment, I would for very cheap, or lightly used and cheap stems to try out to see if there is a different size stem that you prefer. Once you find the sweet spot you really like, then you can invest in a more expensive stem. If you have paid little for a stem, you can resell them and recoup much or most of what you spent on it. Some shops may even have some stems they will let you try to see if they work for you. Or a friend may have something you could try.