1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: handlebar HELP

mtbr member
    May 2013

handlebar HELP

OK, I have a 2013 felt nine70. the factory handlebars are 680mm wide with a 25mm rise. I know I am replacing the grips this weekend, but I can't decide what to do about the handlebars? Part of me wants to try wider ones and the other part says leave them alone . And I have a buddy telling me I need flat bars like his Scott has. I am looking for any type of input or advice.

mtbr member
    Everyone will tell you to buy the same width handlebar that they ride. Based on your post maybe you should get a slightly wider bar that you could always trim down to the size you have now if you don't like them. I would stick with the same rise unless you feel like you want them lower.

670mm works for me.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Everyone will tell you to buy the same width handlebar that they ride.
    This applies to everything from handlebars to shoes and socks; people like what they like and they won't be afraid to recommend it to everyone. Just remember that if you're choosing to replace a part, try to make it because you have a reason to do it. If you want wider bars, do you know why so many people recommend wider bars? Personally I'm running 711mm bars and I'm looking forward to getting some 30" ones. For me (fairly wide shoulders, tall) wide bars are the stuff. For you, only you could know. Rest assured, any large change like bars or stems should be evaluated over a few rides so you can get used to the change before you make any rash decisions like cutting your brand new bars.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    If your existing bars are comfy - don't drink your buddy's Kool-Aid...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like mine OK, but I hear a lot of people say you get more leverage and control on 29ers with wider bars? I am defiantly interested if so. just not sure what that with is?

mtbr member

handlebar HELP

I changed mine from 680 to 750 and the difference is great. I'd recommend but like everyone else said its what your comfortable with. If you could borrow a mates bar to try, maybe.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    If your existing bars are comfy - don't drink your buddy's Kool-Aid...
    And, you shouldn't really "just go wider". Typically going to a wider bar will mean you need to change your stem length at least, and many 'experts' say you really shouldn't go wider than your arms would be when doing a push-up.
    NTFTC

mtbr member

handlebar HELP

When I changed my bar I also changed my stem from a 80mm to a 45mm, I find it much better.