1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Handlebar help

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Handlebar help

hello all. I have a GT Transeo 2.0 that I would like to put a longer handlebar on. I bought Raceface Atlas 31.8 bars, but to my disappointment my stem is not 31.8. my question is this...If i buy a 31.8 stem will the stem fit on my bike? In other words is it just the clamp that holds the handlebar 31.8 or is the clamp that attaches the stem to the bike also 31.8? any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Specs on your bike say a 1-1/8" internal headset. A new standard stem with 31.8mm bar clamp should go right on and work for the wider bars. Generally wider bars also get a shorter stem to maintain a comfortable cockpit. Your LBS service guys should have a box of used stems available for you to try different sizes. It takes only a minute to change and see what fits before you get one.

local trails rider
    There are stems with 1.5" clamps at the other end but they tend to be of the short and burly kind, meant for Downhill bikes and such.

1-1/8" is pretty much the standard for "normal" bikes.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"