mtbr member
    May 2013

Handlebar change help.

My wife rides an older GT Aggressor mountain bike that has a relatively narrow, flat (straight) set of handlebars. I'd like to replace the handlebars with something wider, and with a little bit of rise. The new handlebars need to be polished aluminum to match the bike. Anyone have a recommendation what and where to buy them? I don't need anything high end, but I don't want cheap junk either.

My wife also suffers from sore wrists when riding. I was trying to find a nice pair of grips that are wider for increased palm support. Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Most of the time sore wrists are a result of poor form. Make sure her wrists are nice and straight. Also weak forearms cause poor wrist position.
    I suggest starting with hand/ wrist position correction, before buying any new equipment.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    There is no doubt a form issue, but there is also too much weight on her wrists as the handlebars seem too low for her. She also suffers a bit from carpal tunnel. I'm just looking to make her more comfortable on her bike.

mtbr member
    A riser bar or shorter stem may help. No reason to be in that old school XC/ roadie position. Lots of quality, affordable choices in black, polished may be harder to find.

If she rides limp wristed, nothing will cure her discomfort.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Going wider may not be a good change. Does your wife ride off-road? Ergonomically, wide bars are actually worse. They afford better control over the bike, so for mountain biking, I like them.

If you're not set on wider bars, start with the stem. They're cheap, easy to change out, and don't have different rise and sweep angles to make it hard to predict the change you're making.

Well, different rise angles. But the change is still easy to predict, and there are stem calculators all over the 'net.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    take a look at ergon grips. they are formed to help provide palm support. I love mine.
    Also, take a look at different stems. stem length and angle will help without swapping bars

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just actually measured the width of the bars, and they are the same width as mine. I honestly thought they were narrower. I swapped my stem last year, so I'll try the same stem on hers. Maybe and adjustable stem?

I tried off road riding with the family last year. They all hated it, so now we just ride trails that are either packed dirt, limestone, or paved. So I guess no need for wider bars.

I'll check out the ergo grips.

Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    An adjustable stem isn't a bad idea. If it ends up at a weird height and you like the effective length, you can always move them up or down with spacers.

Make sure to check the clamp size.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Will do. Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    take a look at ergon grips. they are formed to help provide palm support. I love mine.
    Yeah, second that suggestion.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

You might need to convince the wife that black looks good with a polished frame.

You can get these cheap and they come in 1", 2" and 4" rise versions. Only the 4" comes in silver though, and that's a pretty high rise for XC type riding, but it would help give more of a 'heads-up' riding position, which is nice for cruising. Easier on the back, neck and wrists, kind of puts in you a better spot for taking in the sights, etc.

XLC Mountain Riser Handlebar > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.