1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Hand problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hand problem.

My seat is set up where it should be according to everything I've read but when I'm riding I always feel like I want to move further back on my seat. Is this the "too small cockpit" feeling I've read about in some threads? I've also had problems with my hands recently on longer rides. A few hours after last sunday's ride my pinky and ring finger on my right hand went numb and my ability to grip things was almost non-existent in that hand and it stayed that way for several days. It's mostly better now (not completely). The strange thing is my left hand fingers were numbing out during the ride but I had no problems with that hand after. I never noticed a problem with my right hand during the ride, it began after. I've noticed while riding that my wrists seem bent more sharply downward than they probably should be. Would something as simple as rolling my bars forward a bit possibly help this situation?

There's no app for this.

Just cut off your hands

j/k of course. Your cockpit "sounds" small, and the hands thing is too much wieght placed forward - again the short cockpit thing. Can you find an LBS and try a few bikes a bit bigger? The cockpit is key, never mind the rest of the bike. If you can nail it you'll know exactly what to buy. If your current ride is too small, I'd advise against a layback seatpost - longer stem combo...it screws up bike handling.

Take your time, get it right, good luck! Jim

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Also, what kind of gloves are you riding with? There's a nerve that runs near the outside of the heel of the palm that, when compressed for extended periods of time, will cause those kinds of symptoms. I'd look into a pair of gloves with gel inserts in the heel of the palm, near the outside.

Hope that helps! And listen to your body, it's smarter than you! If it's telling you you're cramped, you probably are.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

mtbr member
    Have you tried just slighly sliding your seat back?? Don't move it too far, but try sliding it back (where it mounts to the post)... all you usually need to do this is an allen wrench. Just don't let this affect where your legs are positioned.

local trails rider
    I had a very similar thing with my hands when I started out. I think it was a combination of weak hands and saddle not quite right.
    - Just hanging onto the handlebar over a bumpy trail is pretty hard work when you are not used to it. Give your hands some rest.
    - I felt like I was falling onto the bar. This was fixed by moving the seat a little back and playing with the saddle angle (very small changes!).

This worked for me. There could be other reasons/solutions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks everybody. I'm going to start with the less expensive suggestions, I haven't had this bike all that long so I don't want to buy another already if I can avoid it. The shop where I bought it (not local, there isn't one here, but I made the 6 hour drive rather than order one unseen) said it was the size I needed and they had a variety of sizes they tried me on so it wasn't just what they needed to get rid of. I have Garneau Air Stream gloves, they have a pad but it's not gel. I did move the seat back a little before my ride this morning, I sat on the bike before I went out and it was more forward than it really should have been anyway. I thought I adjusted it properly when I put the new seat on but I guess I wasn't as accurate as I thought. I didn't have any problems today but I didn't go all that far either (about 10 miles). I've been riding this same bike since last fall and this is the first time I've had a problem. The only differences are these gloves, I got them recently, and I'm riding a lot farther now as a I slowly get back in shape.

Custom User Title
    Read through here

Wrist Pain

Your wrist should be flat with the top of your forearm, ie no bend in the wrist. You can also adjust your lever and shifter position when you are at that point to make it easier to reach. It could be the gloves but more than likely it is in the setup of the "cockpit".
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had a similar problem where my entire right hand would go numb about 20 minutes into my ride. I tinkered with a bunch of things, but the problem persisted until I bought a pair of gloves with gel inserts. Presto! Problem solved.

Get the gel. It's worth it. The pair I bought is made by Specialized and sold under their BG brand name.