mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Hand me down bike and need advice for fixing up

First off any mods, if this belongs in another forum please feel free to move it.

Recently I just got a MB from a friend that was moving out of state and he just wanted to pass it on to me. Now I haven't mountain biked in a few years and it seems he did the same and left this bike outside for about 2 years just sitting.

Anyways I am on a tight budget and don't have 500+ to spend on a new bike yet, so I plan on updating and getting this bike in order.

I am looking for advice and how to start on this bike. The bike is an Iron Horse Trail Maverick 6061.

I plan to start with cleaning everything up, getting a new chain (since this one is pretty rusted and just by the looks seemed stretched out), oiling the front and rear suspension, getting new tires and tubes, and replacing the brake lines and pads.

My only other worry would be the derailleurs, should I replace them? What should I look for to find a replacement (size, part names)?

I appreciate all the help and patience with this and the fantastic community that has been set up here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand me down bike and need advice for fixing up-20170812_104950.jpg  

Hand me down bike and need advice for fixing up-20170812_104939.jpg  

Hand me down bike and need advice for fixing up-20170812_104907.jpg  

Hand me down bike and need advice for fixing up-20170812_104848.jpg  

Hand me down bike and need advice for fixing up-20170812_104859.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    That looks pretty rough.

If it was me, I'd try to rehab as much as possible without doing many upgrades (if you start riding it, you may wear out those bits and replace it down the road). Also, you'll get a chance to ride it and see if you like the bike without putting a ton of $$ into it.

Shift cables & housings, rebuild the shifters and derailleurs (if they're rusted solid, you might not be able to do much about them), clean up the chainrings / cassette (probably not too bad, if they're not worn). Depending on how bad the fork / shock are, you might have to pull them apart to put new seals in and new fluid. I don't know much about V brakes, but see how they feel (if the housing / cable is rusted or really gritty that might be on your list as well).
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does it fit you? I'd be hesitant to drop money into a bike that doesn't fit. You can find info on how to size a frame here. I'd recommend replacing the bare necessities and saving the rest for a bike you really want.

Tires/tubes
    measure the chain; replace if stretched, also check cassette and chainrings for excessive wear. Otherwise clean and lube.
    Check brake pad depth; replace if needed.
    Check/adjust shift and brake cables.

Hubs and all other bearings could probably use a once-over clean/re-pack.

mtbr member
    I've seen worse.

Strip it down as much as you can and clean, check and oil everything. Work oil into the dérailleurs, if they move freely you don't need to replace them.

Replace all of the cables.

Spray some oil into the shifters, check they work ok.

Open up the wheel hubs and see what sort of state they are in. Clean them out and fit new balls and grease.

Just check every bit of it. There is a good chance most of the parts will be perfectly serviceable

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for all the help guys. I just got off work and going to spend tomorrow working on the bike to get it in shape for this week.

As far as condition its actually in good condition, shifts *okay* (definitely needs to have new cables), nothing is rusted solid (derailleurs, chainrings, or the cassette) so I think I am in good standing. Going to spend tomorrow working on the front suspensions clean up and re-greasing (and re-greasing the grip shifts) and the tires/tubes. Then if all goes well and I will get a cable set with housing and replace them out sometime this week. I will update this thread with any thing else, also if anyone else has opinions or tips feel free to drop them in. Thanks everyone appreciate all the help!

MTB B'dos
    Personally, just fix it up and get it riding good, use it to get yourself back into riding. That bike is a very simple single pivot with low end, 8spd parts, a modern low end bike will make that bike feel like a relic. Give yourself some time to figure out if you will stick with it and what sort of riding you would like to do and what bike you'd like, then if you decide to stick with it, get the bike you want.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Looks hardly ridden, just weathered from sitting outdoors. Mostly fixable with some spray lube and some elbow grease etc

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you take it to a shop, it will be approaching more than it's worth to go through it, replace cables, housing, and tubes. If you're handy, you could do the work yourself and save enough to make it worth while. If it needs anything major, I would reassess whether or not it's worth it to proceed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you can work on bikes, you're good...

If not, you're about to learn, lol! Good bike to start learning repairs and maintenance - not a lot of current value so if you really mess it up you can ditch it and start fresh.

Personally, I would just wash it off, adjust the seat and stem if needed, and go. If the shifting is poor or the brakes are rubbing, adjust to fix. You can have fun on the trails on a bike like this.

The catch is, every component on this bike is blah quality, just a step up from the department store. When you realize this, you will have the urge to upgrade - don't do it, because you will be wasting money.

The ONLY real thing I would maybe do is switch out the grip shifters for some basic 8-speed trigger shifters, but that's just because I hate grip shift. If you can pick up some new shifters, they often come with cables, at least the Shimano ones I've bought did.