1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Haggling with LBS?

Hey everyone,

FINALLY decided on a bike...Felt Q520. Went to my local LBS's and saw this bike..absolutely beautiful!

They have it in 19.5 size but i need 17.5. However it is 500.

Another LBS near my home has it in my size 17.5, but they are charging 560.00.

Can I haggle with them and ask for 500 since my other LBS is offering that price or would this be shunned upon? Not really sure of the formalities.

Help would be appreciated,

Dan

Picture Unrelated
    Doesn't hurt to ask but be aware that bike shops will rarely match prices on bikes but may make up for it by giving you other discounts.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just have the LBS with the lower price order it and just wait.

mtbr member
    Rick916...

BUT I DONNTT WANNNAA .

I thought about this and decided that is probably what I will do. Can't hurt to go to the other LBS and make the 500.00 offer though can it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This might give you some suggestions:

How to get a Deal from your LBS

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Make the offer.

mtbr member
    Yea I read the thread regarding how to get a deal at your LBS.

I will have cash in hand and make the offer. Hope it goes well

Fat-tired Roadie
    When I've finished my master's and (hopefully) make a lot more money, I can imagine buying a really nice racing bike. I think pre-ordering makes some sense, and people seem to always get their bike. Also, the people who are pre-ordering already have at least one mountain bike, frequently a couple. But if a shop doesn't have the mid-priced bike I want in their own warehouse or basement, I don't think they have it, period. Follow the forums and you'll find a lot of people who take weeks to get bikes they've ordered. Are those missed riding days worth $60? To me, they might be. I try not to think about it too much, but every ride costs me the gas to get there and back, the food I eat, the Gatorade mix I drink, and the wear to the bike and my clothes. Add it all up, and it's probably at least on par with going to the movies. Spending an extra $60 to get six more days of riding is like bringing a date to the movies - you wouldn't question whether it was worth it. (Well, maybe, if she turned out to be a total *****. But not if you had fun.)

Good luck with the haggling. If it doesn't fly, IMO you're best off just rolling with it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    AndrwSwitch, Your logic is correct through and through. Ive already decided to head there tomorrow morning.

I'm coming home with that bike one way or another . Life is short!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any update?? I was in the same situation and my LBS took 65$ off the price of the bike i was interested in

mtbr member
    Agree with the others, make the offer. It's not like it's a bluff. Shop 2 can lower the price and you give them money now, or they won't lower the price and they get none of your money... you order from Shop 1.

Don't be offended if they decline. It might just mean they're going through enough bikes right now that they feel they can get $560 for it. In the end, you get what you want, at the price you want.

mtbr member
    No update yet, I am going Wednesday to purchase the Felt. I will let you guys know how it goes. Anyone have any comments on this bike (q520)?

It was about 200x better than my 1998 Trek 930 I am riding now....but how does it compare to other bikes? I am just getting into the sport really.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The MSRP on the Felt is $549.

My experience with the suspension forks on bikes in that pricepoint hasn't been positive. I don't know the Suntour line that well, though. You have to spend a lot more to get a "real" suspension fork. So, if you don't like the fork, consider either finding something on EBay (I still ride and race a 2006 Manitou R7 I found for $75 that way) or a rigid fork.

Entry-level hardtails are kind of tough - I think the bike companies are trying to squeeze as much of what their customers want into each pricepoint as they can - nobody's trying to rip anyone off - but the builds are just not very good. I wish a $550 bike would ship with a 3x8 drivetrain, disc-ready with V-brakes, and with a suspension-corrected rigid fork, rather than having something resembling suspension as soon as it's remotely possible and some kind of disc brakes, as soon as remotely possible. Consumers demand a suspension fork and really want discs, though, so that's what they get, for good or ill.

Ranting aside, if the Q520 fits you, it's basically the same as every other $550 hardtail except that it's the one that you want. Which is what really matters.

mtbr member
    From reading all over these forums for the past couple of months that is what I have gathered as well. At the 500 price point you are pretty much paying for the frame of your choice since you are getting the same level of parts that will need to be upgraded.

So from there on I went to look at different bikes..Giants..Specialized..and decided on the Felt. The frame stood out the most to me and I liked the feel of it. Thanks for the input man.

clown question, bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty_Lights View Post
    From reading all over these forums for the past couple of months that is what I have gathered as well. At the 500 price point you are pretty much paying for the frame of your choice since you are getting the same level of parts that will need to be upgraded.

So from there on I went to look at different bikes..Giants..Specialized..and decided on the Felt. The frame stood out the most to me and I liked the feel of it. Thanks for the input man.
    I have a 2010 Q520 and love it. I bought it not sure how "in to" mtb I would end up getting and it's been a great bike. If the fork this year is anything like last year's it's really not great at all but it could be far, far worse. My Suntour fork is now hanging up in the garage... one of the first things that got swapped out. The first was the seat though.

Felt seats = butt hurt.

mtbr member
    Where is the best place to purchase parts from? I want to install everything myself to learn how it is done but I am not sure where to buy the parts. I want my butt to be comfy!

Fat-tired Roadie
    performancebike.com, nashbar.com, jensonusa.com. But don't get ahead of yourself - I'm sure a lot of riders would consider my favorite saddle to be a torture device, but I'll happily spend all day on it. (Actually have a saved search for it on EBay.)

Some things, I just buy locally. Things like chains and brake pads often cost enough to ship that any savings disappears. Shoes need to fit. Saddles need to fit. I also get a fair amount of stuff from friends and teammates - current rear tire and shifters, for example.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just ask for a discount because its cheaper at another store....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    the store i bought from will price match (+20% i think) any price in the state. my guess is you will have pretty good luck there too, especially since there price is already 10 bucks over MSRP. They want you coming back there for other accessories and components and especially repairs and tune ups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    call a few shops to get lowest price some of them will gladly throw in free accessories with price match. Got My 2012 specialized hardrock disc sport for 470. retail is 630. All cause i asked for a price match on a regular hardrock disc of 2011.