1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

GT Sanction 3.0 or Iron Horse 7.7

Cant decide which one to get,
    im 5'9'' 160lbs
    I have just gotten back into riding and have an avalance 3.0

My basic question is Air or coil? (sanction has air, the 7.7 has coil)
    my buddy who works at performance said it really dosnt matter...does it?

I will be using this bike for jumping, drops and just going nuts on the mountain!

thanks for the help
    Blake
    Last edited by plsurfer; 10-23-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Rub it............
    I would go for the GT.

Iron Horse bikes are heading towards big box stores only (REI, ***** Sporting Goods, etc) . No local bike shops

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That doesn't say anything about the quality of their high end bikes. Performance will still have their IH exclusive models as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    I would go for the GT.

Iron Horse bikes are heading towards big box stores only (REI, ***** Sporting Goods, etc) . No local bike shops
    You say that like its a bad thing.
    The box stores will carry the entry-mid level bikes. Like said above, Performance will carry their exclusive models (good for those of us that have a Performance as a LBS).
    High end IH bikes will be online only.
    Frankly, if your going to be buying a high end bike, you should know a little wrenching skills. Not all LBS bike service is created equal, altho usually better than a box store. Think we've all had horrible LBS service at one time or another.

back on topic.
    I would test ride both bikes and pick the one that fits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All that being said, you should try to find a LBS that still has high end IH bikes in stock and ride them for sizing purposes. Once you know what frame size works well you can do some comparisons between brands.

I know IH bikes are a bit hard to try out in person, but they seem to be a very good bang for the buck and I believe it's worth the extra effort to find out more about them.