1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Idea! GT Palomar Build

well im getting back into biking this spring. trying to get this Palomar up and running. so far it needs a front and rear derailleur, cables, shifters and brake levers. i have no clue what would be good for this bike. i hate grip-shift (which was on it) so i tore them off. i dont think they were working anyways. i want to put a decent derailleur system on it, and some brake levers that are a bit tighter. not sure how to go about any of this. i want buy New shifters and cables for it and see if i can get the derailleurs and brake levers used. i have a rear derailleur from another bike but its beat to crap and i dont wanna go through the trouble not knowing if it will be good or not.

any pointers or tips would be much appreciated. ive put together a bike before but it was a Frankenstein bike that didnt work very well. so im going to try a little harder on this one. i have a low budget but can slowly obtain the parts i need. this bike is for general road cruising and long distance biking.

mtbr member
    will that rear derailleur be ok with those shifters? does it matter what shifting and derailleur combo i have? or are they all pretty much interchangeable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As long as you stick to stuff from the same company and set up for the same number of gears, you should be all set (though there are some SRAM components that don't play well with each other). It looks like the stuff you chose should work.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    if the rear shifter is for 8 gears will it still work on 7 cog cassette?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    What about these shifters.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Acera-...dp/B003YSS8TK/

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Acera-...dp/B003ZM9RX6/

What's wrong with the current brake levers?

What's wrong with the current front derailleur?

mtbr member
    cobba, yeah i saw those. if i dont win the auction for the shimano ST EF65 set on ebay i think ill just purchase those. but i want to see if i can get the combo set cheap. my levers seem to wobble up and down a lot. i guess i just want ones that are more solid. im sure the ones i have are fine(i did notice some rust inside them too). the front derailleur works fine but its rusty as you can see. both adjustment screws still work. i guess ill wait on that though keep my eyes open for a good used one somewhere. i dont really use the front gears too much anyways.

mtbr member
    also what cables do i get? just standard Shimano Road Cables? or do they have to be mountain bike cables? i cant seem to find mountain bike cables on amazon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cables are standard for any type of bike. Shift cables/housing differ from brake cable/housing though, so you'll need to get a couple of each type. If the shifters are new, sometimes they come with cables and ferrules/end caps. Otherwise, you'll need enough of those (count the ones on your bike) and a GOOD set of cable/housing cutters. (This is one of the few specialty bike tools I consider a must-have).

7-8-9 speed can all use the same derailleurs.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    thanks a lot. i think i can just use a dremel to cut the cable housings. i also ordered a crank tool so i can change it more easily. i plan on getting a new crank here soon too. once im done with school and have a better job ill be getting a higher end bike

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: GT Palomar Build

Not worth it. Replacing drivetrain bits starts to add up and you could probably get a bike that already goes, stops and shifts for less.

If you're dead set on doing this, find your local bike co-op and fix your bike from their parts bins. For figuring out compatibility, start by figuring out what kind of cog set you have - cassette or freewheel, and how many?

You can use either a Shimano or SRAM rear derailleur, anything less than 10-speed. Get the shifters to match the brand of the derailleur and the number of cogs.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Not worth it. Replacing drivetrain bits starts to add up and you could probably get a bike that already goes, stops and shifts for less.
    I'm gonna second that thought. You're gonna end up spending a couple hundred sprucing that one up. If you can beg, borrow or steal parts (or know somebody with a garage full of left-over parts like mine), it would be worth putting some cables and elbow grease into the GT, but I wouldn't do much more than that. Maybe just to the bare minimum to get it running and stopping, then ride it while you save up some scratch. You're $$ will go a lot farther on a used complete bike.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    yeah i ordered a chain, that rear derailleur, and cables. and i think ill get those shifters that cobba linked. so far i have like 65 dollars into it in the parts i ordered. i paid 20 dollars for the bike last year. it had just been sitting in my shed. so in the end getting the bike running will probably cost like 100 dollars. most used bikes i see for 100 dollars wont be much better then this one when it is finished. also if i find a better frame i can still use the parts i bought. also im really eager to learn how to tear down and rebuild bikes. so installing this stuff myself will help. i didnt want to spend more then 100 getting it running or like you said i could just buy a used bike that is better. im sure i could sell it for my money back when i go to upgrade. i do like this palomar frame though. its nice and tall for me. im 6'1". thanks for the pointers and advice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hello! I have a question - I've been riding an older 1998 ish GT palomar for about a year with a surly 1x1 fork. I think the axle to crown is too tall. Can you please measure your axle to crown on your fork according to the proper method to measure a-c? I really need to know what is the proper fork length for this bike.
    Thank you!!

Fat-tired Roadie
    If yours shipped with a rigid fork, like his, on the order of 400 mm.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks!