1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: GT I drive 5

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

GT I drive 5

My LBS has an 09 on sale for 700. Wanted to know if this is a good deal or not. Most of my riding is on trails. Used to ride alot a few years ago but had a knee surgery and am getting back into the sport. Thanks!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, thats it.

mtbr member
    Check to make sure it's an 09. I thought they did away with the I-drive 5 in 09 and went to the Force. Not sure though. I'm far from an expert on GT.

Two friends of mine have GTs. One has an older I-drive 5(full XTR kit with an older Fox 36 in the front). It's been a solid bike and he beats on the thing.

The other has the 2009 aluminum frame Force with mostly XT parts and he loves the bike.

For $700, the I-5 would be a great bike.

mtbr member
    It's not a bad bike for the price. Decent components, The suspension isn't the best but adequate. It will also be a bit on the heavy side.

If it's a Performance, and the price on the tag is $700, you can usually negotiate another %10-%15 percent off. Go in there and offer them $600 for it, and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale
    Check to make sure it's an 09. I thought they did away with the I-drive 5 in 09 and went to the Force. Not sure though. I'm far from an expert on GT.

Two friends of mine have GTs. One has an older I-drive 5(full XTR kit with an older Fox 36 in the front). It's been a solid bike and he beats on the thing.

The other has the 2009 aluminum frame Force with mostly XT parts and he loves the bike.

For $700, the I-5 would be a great bike.

I think GT did a "Performance Exclusive" I-Drive for Performance for '09. Probably needed a way to get rid of the left over I-Drive frames when they went to the Force.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks, the shop had only 1 left. I like the way it rides just wasnt sure about the componets. I was also looking at FSR's but am trying to keep it below a grand.

mtbr member
    the i-drive suspension is excellent, one of the best. th id5 was heavy as hell though, its just a monster frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    the i-drive suspension is excellent, one of the best. th id5 was heavy as hell though, its just a monster frame.
    Thats fine, this way when I upgrade later in life I will feel a better differance.

Underskilled
    I slightly disagree with the above, the I-drive is a stunning suspension system, it is exceptionally plush yet the most efficient pedaling FS bike out there.

Sure you need a complex multibar suspension system to get that, so it weighs a little more.

The efficiency and quality of travel you get hugely outweigh a slight weight increase.
    It is like suspension forks over rigid, gears over SS, fat tyres over thin, weigh more but make your ride more fun.

snap it up before it goes.

mtbr member
    i dont think its a slight weight increase, i think that beast is about a 9 pound frame.

Underskilled
    Compared to the total weight of rider + bike a few pounds is nothing compared to the efficiency/plushness benefit.

Going from a solid carbon fork to my Dorado's is a huge weight increase yet I havn't looked back.

You are paying a weight premium for a more advanced suspension platform

mtbr member
    I would like to clarify my statement "The suspension isn't the best but adequate." In that I was meaning the Shock and Fork. Not the I-Drive system, sorry my statement wasn't clear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the input...hopfuly i can head that way this weekend and pick it up if they still have it. The closest bike shop to me is two hours away.