mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New question here. GT Avalanche 3.0 or Haro Flightline Comp

Hey guys, I'm trying to buy a new bike and I'm struggling trying to decide on these two bikes.

I am a beginner biker. I used to really enjoy it up till I was 18 but haven't touched it for 10 years. I am hoping to get back into it but I am having a tough time deciding between these two bikes.

GT Avalanche 3.0
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/nzl/eng/Pr...dventure/#5726

or

Haro Flightline Comp
    http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav3.php

Both bikes are the same price in my area but the haro seems to be a good bit pricier online.This makes me wonder if the Haro is a far better bike but just a low price in my local shop.

I will be sending alot of time with my bike on the road but would really like to be able to take it on some downhill and trails too. Then if I like downhilling with it, I could maybe upgrade it to better specs as I can afford it. I hear the GT avalanche has a great frame and this is obviously very important but the Haro gets a better rating on MTBR.

I am confused and it would be great if you good folk could help decide. Maybe have had both bikes at some stage etc...

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

Hoosier
    We can't decide for you. Take each bike out for a test ride in at least one size if not two. After that choose whichever bike felt more comfortable for you.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    First of all, welcome to the forums.

Going by the specs the Haro has a slightly better component set. Given the price was equal I'd go for that. Personally I'm riding a Haro Flightline Sport and I love every bit of it. I just bought a new ride so my Flightline is going to be taking a back seat, but that's the bike I've learned and grown on. Its been able to take a beating and keep on ticking with minor work (busted derailleur hanger...my fault). The frame is sturdy and willing to move with me pretty well.

As far as downhilling, I wouldn't recommend doing anything hardcore with either as that's not what they were meant for. These bikes are more of your XC-trail variety. For serious downhill, you're going to want something with more travel in the suspension and a beefier frame. I take my Flightline on some light downhill and it handles it decently.

Both bikes are upgradeable to your liking, but as you'll find, these are entry level bikes and by the time it comes to upgrading, you may find, like I did, a new bike may suit your needs better.

Be sure to test ride both and see how each feel to you. That's the most important aspect. If you can, see if the LBS will let you have some actual trail time with each to get a more accurate idea of how the bike works for you. Good luck with you decision and let us know how it works!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks guys,
    I won't be doing any serious downhill on it, just light stuff for the time being.

Keatan - by my post, I didn't mean to come across that you decide for me. I have tested both and others and these 2 were the ones I liked the most. I guess I liked the Avalanche a slight bit better but needed people with experience to tell me if the Haro's specs were far better than the Avalanches.

Thanks for your post Buckshot. I'll have another ride on both but it is good to know that the Haro makes for a good bike. Hope you enjoy your new ride

I'll let you know how I decide.

Thanks again,
    Jason

Hoosier
    I was just trying to say that at the price range, parts specs are not going to make much of a difference at all. Making sure the bike feels right is much more important. BTW Welcome to the forums.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

Bike Servant
    The GT is a good bike and you can always upgrade it. You might want to consider the 1.0 (which I think is a 9 speed). For a little more money you can get a few better components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They both are pretty similar components.
    Paid $400 for my 08 GT here in TX - very pleased with it.

The Haro does have the better Fork w/ the Rock Shox instead of Suntour.

Throw a leg over both & see which you like better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Definitely try out both and see which one feels better on you. But I do love that triple triangle frame!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks to all of you for your help.
    I went back and tried out both again. There was a sale in the GT shop so I ended up trying the GT 2.0 aswell.
    I ended up buying it as sitting back on the GT 3.0 or the Flightline just didn't feel the same after. It was the same price as the 3.0 was yesterday so quiet happy with myself today.

So I ended up buying the GT 2.0 hDisk
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/nzl/eng/Pr...dventure/#5722

Already had some good fun in my local park and already can't wait to take it back out.
    Got 3 free services and a parts guarantee so going to run this to the ground for a year and then maybe look at picking up something a bit better.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Congrats on your purchase!

Looks like you got a good ride. A classmate of mine just picked one of those up and he loves it. GT makes solid stuff and it should do you some pretty good service. Hope you enjoy this sport as much as I do!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great choice! I'm glad you're happy with the purchase!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey guys, Hope you are all well and getting out on your bikes as much as possible. Quick update on my bike. Its 18 months later and I still love this bike to bits! Haven't had any problems with it apart from the gears slipping but this was resolved with a tuning.

I had to use a rental bike a couple of weeks back which was a Giant something or other and it felt like I was riding a log. It didn't feel as sturdy and was a lot heavier. (I am not flaming Giant's here, just this model, which I can' remember, was not a fun ride)

If anybody reading this is in a similar situation that I was in, being torn between the GT Avalanche and something similar, know that the Avalanche 2.0 is a good bike for the price. (Pease note that I got the 2.0 and not the 3.0.) It is a sturdy build and it feels like it, giving you confidence while riding. Yet the bike is light, making it easy to throw around corners and sturdy enough to do smaller jumps. I haven't been brave enough to try the big jumps yet but will let you know how the bike holds out once I do. The specs are good for the price. From my experince on the rental, riding downhill whilst using v brakes, disk brakes make such a difference to your riding pleasure! Make sure you get them.

On the downside, the bike isn't as comfortable on the road as I would have liked but this was due to me getting a smaller frame for xc riding then I would normally use on the road. Thats fine since I don't enjoy riding on the road anymore since I starting riding xc.

Don't take my word for it. As the rest of the guys and gals said above, sit on the bike and get a feel for it. I just want to let you know that if the bike feels good, as it did for me, that it has been a great and fun entry level ride. Have fun out there. Cheers, Jason

mtbr member
    Awesome that you happy with your purchase, makes me happy that I bought my GT Avalanche 1.0

Members who have read this thread: 0