1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

GT Avalanche 1.0 vs Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc

well i'm in dilema...
    Right now i have a Trek 3700 that i use to commute back and forth to work on (1/4 mile each way, real long ride haha)...
    so this summer i want to get into some XC riding and maybe some downhill...my budget is below $600 and i've come across 2 bikes...

Bike #1 is an 09 GT Avalanche 1.0...it has everything i need include hydrolic disc breaks and the components seem pretty good, to my untrained eye....the retail is 899.99 i can pick it up for 575 plus tax (this one is in VT and tax is 6%)

Bike #2 is a 10 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc...it has cable disc instead of hydrolic but components seem pretty nice on this too...retail is about 659.99 and they will sell it to me for 550 plus tax (in NY tax is 8%)

I'm really leaning far twards the GT....price wise looks like the better deal but i also like Gary Fishers...never owned one but have had a lot of friends with them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I picked up the 10 Gary FIsher Wahoo disc a couple of months ago and love it. It's a real good set up and the geometry works out really well. I would probably head down to the nearest lbs and ride both of them to see how they feel then make your decision. Good luck and happy riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Avalanche 1.0 seems like a much better deal. Better fork. Better derailleurs. Hydraulic brakes. Better rims. Better tires. For $25, if the bike's in good shape, it seems like a no brainer to me.

(I am new to this whole MTB thing, but that's my $0.02. )

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have an avalanche 1.0 and i love it. I'm a noob also tho.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Get the GT!!!!!
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    haha..Ratch you dont own a GT do you?

I believe i am definately going with the GT. In fact it should be at the shop some time this week and hopefully ready for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would go with the GT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Rob, your opinion doesnt count lol....is there a forum your not on? haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Snowboarding, bikes and quad forums Im on. Anything else I will leave you alone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    haha...are you on ATVriders?

i always find out how many forums i'm on when its my birthday and i get like 30 emails!

btw...i will definately be purchasing the GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Of course Im on ATV riders. have been since it was EXriders

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    do a search on atv riders for slinky and i think you'll find my 350RX build

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky750
    haha..Ratch you dont own a GT do you?

I believe i am definately going with the GT. In fact it should be at the shop some time this week and hopefully ready for the weekend.
    I might have owned one or six hehehehe

Good choice on the GT!
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well a little bump in the road, i guess the guy didnt get his order in in time and he only got 2.0's...i can get the 2.0 for $400 compared to $575 for the 1.0...should i go for the 2.0 and save some money then upgrade components down the road?
    man this should not be this tough!