1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    shining bright

Grips.. What are you using?

I have ridden with several types of grips. I see a different kind by a company called Ergon...Are these any good or are they something I should avoid? I have round grips on my bars now and I get alot of arm pump type feeling. I know this doesn't have much to do with the grips themselves, but I never have really liked the ones I have.

What do you use?

mtbr member
    I have two pairs of Ergon GX1s. I like the size and the prodeal purchase price is pretty good. I wouldn't say they're the greatest thing since sliced bread but I like the extra material of the wings.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    ODI Rogue Lock-ons. Purely awesome!

-Brett

JDM
    mtbr member
    I WOULD say that Ergons ARE the best thing since sliced bread. I love mine!

shining bright
    Is Ergon the brand that all other grips shaped like that try to copy - are they the original ergonomic grip or is it some other brand?

Trail Ninja
    Ergon sells $30+ grips... that enough is to catch your attention, but grips are grips. Their purpose is simple, instead of a bare bar, you have something thicker to hold on to, with more grip, cushion, and can add a bit of color and style to your ride.

People are fine with stock, until they crash and they tear; people like Oury's for comfort--it's thick and sticky too; people like BMX style flanged grips; people like lock-on grips after being annoyed by their grips slipping on the bars; people like lightweight foam grips to help get their bike under 10kg; people like a balance of lightweight, grip, and cushion with silicone grips (ESI Chunky/Racer's Edge)...

There are ergonomic style grips not made by Ergon that will serve their purpose if you have wrist problems and only cost $10 or so. Good bike fit and nice handlebars with sweep would probably help more than ergo grips though.

Don't buy into every bit of marketing out there.

That said, I use Ergon GX-1. They're overhyped and not worth the cash. They're heavy, change your hand position so you have to set up your controls again. They notably move your brake finger back... especially problematic if your levers don't have reach adjust. I had ODI lock on's before and they lock on much tighter to the bar without the need of rubber on the side of the grip, which makes these harder to install and uninstall.

I had ODI Intense Grips that I liked. I liked the feel of Oury, but they had slip issues. I know ODI Rogues were fairly popular when I was looking into ODIs. I wouldn't recommend their X-trainer model... they say it's lightweight, but it's only light for an ODI model and has no cushioning. ESI Racer's Edge is tons lighter and is cushier. ODIs hold up very well in crashes. Their lock-rings take the damage and they're tough. I hit my Ergons in one crash so far and they slid inwards on my bar. I guess that's better than my bar taking damage.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 10-22-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Mountain Man Dan
    The stock Specialized Enduro grips, but soon to me Black ODI Rogue grips with anodized blue locks.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have Lizard Skin Logo Lock-ons. They suit my hands just fine.

SSOD
    Check out some of the ESI grips. Tacky, easy to clean and good absorption for rigid. They're all I use.

TRANCER
    I got these and they are awesome. Even when I forget my gloves and I'm sweating my hands are on there like glue. Not to mention how great they look. I like these and the ergons.

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/grips/s...E2%84%A2-grips
    Ride

KC Weekend Warrior
    I have tried Serfas lock-ons, but they shredded on the first heavy ride.

Then WTB traditional trail grips (not lock-on), but the moved around too much.

Now I'm on Crank Bros Iodine - they look awesome are wide and have a great grip (so far after 4 rides)

mtbr member
    I use ergon GP1 - small.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Oury Lock-On

Classic moto feel, tacky, and just the right amount of cushion... (for me, anyway).
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Pedal Power
    using some ODI Rogue's, i like the extra meat over stock.
    Why Ti?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Ergon GA-1. Shaped to fit your hand but don't require any adjustment of controls. Hard wearing too.

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cncwhiz
    Is Ergon the brand that all other grips shaped like that try to copy - are they the original ergonomic grip or is it some other brand?
    Yes. The Ergon design process and products have been around for almost 8 years now. We constantly have to deal with patent infringements. We currently hold 4 worldwide patents which are key to how these 'ergonomic winged' grips perform and function with the rider.

Are our grips more expensive than the competitors? Yes.

Ergon is a premium brand with an extensive design and fabrication process....as well as numerous options to get riders on the right grip for their riding style(s). All our products are designed in-house in Germany. They are then produced in Taiwan with rubber that is shipped from Germany. We will offer a simplified version of Ergon this year with Phorm, which also hits a lower price point.

While we wish all riders were on our products, this simply will never likely happen. We are all involved in a great sport which allows riders many options and choices in equipment. Ride what makes you happy and what you can budget.

Lastly, grips are not just grips. That is like saying tires are just tires....or....saddles are just saddles. Our grips are designed to fit your hand. Other grips are designed to fit the handlebar.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Odi Rogues with red clamps.

mtbr member
    I really like my Race Face Good'N'Evil Grips. Very comfortable, very sticky and very well priced.

I also have some Ergon GP1 grips. They are an excellent grip, and they are very well made.

mtbr member
    I had ODI Ruffians and didn't care for them other than the lock-on feature. For my recent bikes I've switched the ODI Rogue and really like them. I get a lot less forearm pump, which I think is a result of the extra padding and the fact that I don't squeeze the bar as hard since it doesn't feel so small. I think it's like a helmet or glove, there are lots that fit in general but on occasion you find that one that's perfect.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have ODI Ruffians. They're not very forgiving. When I wear them out, I'll try Rogues, probably. I'm quite happy with the quality of the product - it's just too firm for me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Never trust a fart
    +1 on the Ergon GA-1's.
    Last edited by frdfandc; 10-22-2010 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    I have ODI Ruffians. They're not very forgiving. When I wear them out, I'll try Rogues, probably. I'm quite happy with the quality of the product - it's just too firm for me.
    I think you'll like the Rogues then. In my experience ODI quality is excellent. The Ruffians just felt a little too small and as you said they are not forgiving.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    I have Lizard Skin Logo Lock-ons. They suit my hands just fine.
    Same here, nice & grippy too.
    I believe the clamps work with the odi/rogue style replacement grips too but I haven't tried.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I replaced my worn out Ouri lock ons with Titec Pork Rinds. I'll run these for a bit.
    -- ride on
    George
    George Wong

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    On my HT i use a pair of lock-on's from Giant.
    The Rush gets some ESI chunky grips.
    The ESI are the best one i used so far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast