Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shining bright

Grips.. What are you using?

I have ridden with several types of grips. I see a different kind by a company called Ergon...Are these any good or are they something I should avoid? I have round grips on my bars now and I get alot of arm pump type feeling. I know this doesn't have much to do with the grips themselves, but I never have really liked the ones I have.

What do you use?

mtbr member
    I have two pairs of Ergon GX1s. I like the size and the prodeal purchase price is pretty good. I wouldn't say they're the greatest thing since sliced bread but I like the extra material of the wings.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    ODI Rogue Lock-ons. Purely awesome!

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

JDM
    mtbr member
    I WOULD say that Ergons ARE the best thing since sliced bread. I love mine!

shining bright
    Is Ergon the brand that all other grips shaped like that try to copy - are they the original ergonomic grip or is it some other brand?

Trail Ninja
    Ergon sells $30+ grips... that enough is to catch your attention, but grips are grips. Their purpose is simple, instead of a bare bar, you have something thicker to hold on to, with more grip, cushion, and can add a bit of color and style to your ride.

People are fine with stock, until they crash and they tear; people like Oury's for comfort--it's thick and sticky too; people like BMX style flanged grips; people like lock-on grips after being annoyed by their grips slipping on the bars; people like lightweight foam grips to help get their bike under 10kg; people like a balance of lightweight, grip, and cushion with silicone grips (ESI Chunky/Racer's Edge)...

There are ergonomic style grips not made by Ergon that will serve their purpose if you have wrist problems and only cost $10 or so. Good bike fit and nice handlebars with sweep would probably help more than ergo grips though.

Don't buy into every bit of marketing out there.

That said, I use Ergon GX-1. They're overhyped and not worth the cash. They're heavy, change your hand position so you have to set up your controls again. They notably move your brake finger back... especially problematic if your levers don't have reach adjust. I had ODI lock on's before and they lock on much tighter to the bar without the need of rubber on the side of the grip, which makes these harder to install and uninstall.

I had ODI Intense Grips that I liked. I liked the feel of Oury, but they had slip issues. I know ODI Rogues were fairly popular when I was looking into ODIs. I wouldn't recommend their X-trainer model... they say it's lightweight, but it's only light for an ODI model and has no cushioning. ESI Racer's Edge is tons lighter and is cushier. ODIs hold up very well in crashes. Their lock-rings take the damage and they're tough. I hit my Ergons in one crash so far and they slid inwards on my bar. I guess that's better than my bar taking damage.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 10-22-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

Mountain Man Dan
    The stock Specialized Enduro grips, but soon to me Black ODI Rogue grips with anodized blue locks.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have Lizard Skin Logo Lock-ons. They suit my hands just fine.

SSOD
    Check out some of the ESI grips. Tacky, easy to clean and good absorption for rigid. They're all I use.

TRANCER
    I got these and they are awesome. Even when I forget my gloves and I'm sweating my hands are on there like glue. Not to mention how great they look. I like these and the ergons.

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/grips/s...E2%84%A2-grips
    Ride

KC Weekend Warrior
    I have tried Serfas lock-ons, but they shredded on the first heavy ride.

Then WTB traditional trail grips (not lock-on), but the moved around too much.

Now I'm on Crank Bros Iodine - they look awesome are wide and have a great grip (so far after 4 rides)

mtbr member
    I use ergon GP1 - small.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Oury Lock-On

Classic moto feel, tacky, and just the right amount of cushion... (for me, anyway).
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Pedal Power
    using some ODI Rogue's, i like the extra meat over stock.
    Why Ti?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Ergon GA-1. Shaped to fit your hand but don't require any adjustment of controls. Hard wearing too.

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cncwhiz
    Is Ergon the brand that all other grips shaped like that try to copy - are they the original ergonomic grip or is it some other brand?
    Yes. The Ergon design process and products have been around for almost 8 years now. We constantly have to deal with patent infringements. We currently hold 4 worldwide patents which are key to how these 'ergonomic winged' grips perform and function with the rider.

Are our grips more expensive than the competitors? Yes.

Ergon is a premium brand with an extensive design and fabrication process....as well as numerous options to get riders on the right grip for their riding style(s). All our products are designed in-house in Germany. They are then produced in Taiwan with rubber that is shipped from Germany. We will offer a simplified version of Ergon this year with Phorm, which also hits a lower price point.

While we wish all riders were on our products, this simply will never likely happen. We are all involved in a great sport which allows riders many options and choices in equipment. Ride what makes you happy and what you can budget.

Lastly, grips are not just grips. That is like saying tires are just tires....or....saddles are just saddles. Our grips are designed to fit your hand. Other grips are designed to fit the handlebar.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Odi Rogues with red clamps.

mtbr member
    I really like my Race Face Good'N'Evil Grips. Very comfortable, very sticky and very well priced.

I also have some Ergon GP1 grips. They are an excellent grip, and they are very well made.

mtbr member
    I had ODI Ruffians and didn't care for them other than the lock-on feature. For my recent bikes I've switched the ODI Rogue and really like them. I get a lot less forearm pump, which I think is a result of the extra padding and the fact that I don't squeeze the bar as hard since it doesn't feel so small. I think it's like a helmet or glove, there are lots that fit in general but on occasion you find that one that's perfect.

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    I have ODI Ruffians. They're not very forgiving. When I wear them out, I'll try Rogues, probably. I'm quite happy with the quality of the product - it's just too firm for me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Never trust a fart
    +1 on the Ergon GA-1's.
    Last edited by frdfandc; 10-22-2010 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    I have ODI Ruffians. They're not very forgiving. When I wear them out, I'll try Rogues, probably. I'm quite happy with the quality of the product - it's just too firm for me.
    I think you'll like the Rogues then. In my experience ODI quality is excellent. The Ruffians just felt a little too small and as you said they are not forgiving.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    I have Lizard Skin Logo Lock-ons. They suit my hands just fine.
    Same here, nice & grippy too.
    I believe the clamps work with the odi/rogue style replacement grips too but I haven't tried.

mtbr member
    I replaced my worn out Ouri lock ons with Titec Pork Rinds. I'll run these for a bit.
    -- ride on
    George
    George Wong

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    On my HT i use a pair of lock-on's from Giant.
    The Rush gets some ESI chunky grips.
    The ESI are the best one i used so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice, I just got ODI Rogues installed but not yet rode with it. I didn't know they were that popular, I was at the shop looking for new grip and they look comfy. The shop only got Ergon but only Large size which was too big for my hands.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Ergons can be a life saver to the right person.
    I used to suffer from severe wrist pain that almost stopped me from riding altogether. A buddy suggested I try some Ergons, so as I last resort, I tried it out. Needless to say I ride a ton, and my wrist pain has dissapeared. Just something with regular bars did not mesh with my candy wrists. They are worth trying out, and I did find there was a 'learning curve' to the feel of the big wing, but now, I will never go back.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Ergon GA1s here (currently $23 @ blueskycycling.com). Swapped them in from my Ergon GX2s. The hard wing style grip and bar ends just weren't working for me on the trails, but worked great on pavement and smooth gravel.

The Ergon materials are definitely not cushy, but they do seem very durable and have eliminated the pretty severe ulnar/cyclist palsy issues I was having any time I rode more than 5 miles or so on the MTB w/ the stock grips. Are they the only company making grips that might have addressed my issues? Probably not. Are they a bit more expensive than some other brands? Yes.

The only other ergo style grips I had seriously looked into were the Specialized Contours which seemed a bit more cushy and were $30.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have Ergons on my 29ers....nice.

I have stock Tracer grips on my Intenese Tracer... super nice and 30% of the price of the Ergons and a great grip. Stock Kona grips rock too.

Seems like a lot of the price on the ergons is going to marketing and promotion. Hell, the packaging is expensive (and wasteful IMO). Sposorship and full page ads cost a lot of money, someone has to pay for that.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

I <3 bikes
    ht has odi rogue lock ons
    fs has odi ruffian lock ons

I like the ruffians more than the rogues. Kinda miss my old oury grips except they weren't lock ons.

mtbr member
    Stock barely-there Specialized lock-ons. Got Ergon GP1's... those ended up not working for me on the longer and more technical rides, especially steep bumpy downhill sections. The wing would get in the way when I shifted back off of the saddle.

Just got some Oury lockons, taking my first ride with them tomorrow. They're more firm than I anticipated -- I sort of expected them to a little "squishier" based on what I've read.

not so 1337 mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I liked the Ergo Grips off Ebay. Very comfy. Got some Oury Grips for my Newer bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    Ergon GA-1. Shaped to fit your hand but don't require any adjustment of controls. Hard wearing too.

just got mine in a few days ago and i love em'. the look and feel are top notch compared to my old specialized grips. i wear an xl glove so i ordered the large size GA1's and had to slide the forward controls in a bit for my grips to completely secure to the bars.
    16' Framed AK white/black 21" FAT
    97' Cannondale Super V yellow/black

responsible zombie owner
    I used to have Ourys but wanted to add some small bar ends so I replaced the old flanged grips with lock-ons from Charge, which look blingy and give good grip but feel too narrow and harsh after the lovely phatties that preceded them. They are also wearing quite quickly.

As lock-ons are so much more convenient I will go with ODI Rogues next, they seem to be like the Ourys for feel and unlike Oury lock-ons I can get them from Wiggle.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    Yes. The Ergon design process and products have been around for almost 8 years now. We constantly have to deal with patent infringements. We currently hold 4 worldwide patents which are key to how these 'ergonomic winged' grips perform and function with the rider.

Are our grips more expensive than the competitors? Yes.

Ergon is a premium brand with an extensive design and fabrication process....as well as numerous options to get riders on the right grip for their riding style(s). All our products are designed in-house in Germany. They are then produced in Taiwan with rubber that is shipped from Germany. We will offer a simplified version of Ergon this year with Phorm, which also hits a lower price point.

While we wish all riders were on our products, this simply will never likely happen. We are all involved in a great sport which allows riders many options and choices in equipment. Ride what makes you happy and what you can budget.

Lastly, grips are not just grips. That is like saying tires are just tires....or....saddles are just saddles. Our grips are designed to fit your hand. Other grips are designed to fit the handlebar.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    I know this is going to sound silly but true. I love the Ergon grips and have some one one of my bikes. But I think you guys would corner the market if you made the Ergons in many more color combinations. I have met quite a number of people that love your grips but say they didn't use them because the colors did not match their bike. I know you guys came out with the team green ones. Do you know if they will be coming out with different colored grips anytime soon? I know it should not matter but I have noticed that to a lot of people it does. And if you came out with an answer to those who color matters to. I think your sales would shoot through the roof.
    Ride

mtbr member
    My brother swears by his Ergons, he's a big riderdoing trails and XC so having a bigger area to take load from his hands was a perfect as it prevents him from getting numb fingers after 5 miles of riding.
    I'm still rocking the stockers on my specialized but looking at trying the Ergon GA-1 or Crank Brothers foamy grips
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Ergon GA1's... fully satisfied after a full season of use too.
    mike

dying hurts.
    ESI chunky's for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    im sorry but ihave a question. what are lock ons? seems to me like the soft gtip is glued onto an aluminum tube with clamps on the ends. is this correct?

sorry for the slight derail...

Trail Ninja
    They simply just clamp down onto your bars with lockrings on each end rather than rely on friction and tight tolerances. The inside of the grip is a stiff composite material and doesn't even really touch the bar; it just has notches that go into the lockrings.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

MTBR Member
    Another one for the ODI Rogues - been on them a few years now. My only complaint on them would be that they tear up pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    They simply just clamp down onto your bars with lockrings on each end rather than rely on friction and tight tolerances. The inside of the grip is a stiff composite material and doesn't even really touch the bar; it just has notches that go into the lockrings.

thanks!

carry on...

dying hurts.

+

=

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just purcahsed a set of Ergon GP1 grips from e-bay for $25, threw em on my bike this morning and just about to go try em out!!

mtbr member
    One note about the Ergons... I was using them to help with wrist-pain. It got worse initially b/c I was not using them correctly. They're not for "resting" your palm on.. that implies your wrists are bent which is a major source of wrist numbness/pain/damage. They're more for aligning your wrists so they *don't* bend, and spreading the weight to help with blood flow. The manual states as much. I liked them better after aligning correctly. Definitely helps with flat-ish/smooth rides, but again I eventually ended up not liking them for bumpy trail riding.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ODI Rogue Lock-Ons.

Some of the largest grips on the market. If you have large hands or just sore hands after a long ride, these will absolutely help. They make riding much more comfortable and definitely increase control(if only in your head).

I've had mine for a few months with no noticeable wear, although I'm just a weekend rider.

mtbr member
    Just got off an 8-mile ride with the new Ourys. Awesome. I still had some numbness near the end, but it's a very rooty, bumpy trail. But no soreness at all, which is a first on this trail. While not as "squishy" as I expected, I think they do soak up a lot of vibration. And the thicker cross section just feels better -- more "solid" -- to me.

I thought I would end up using the Ergons on some flat rails/trails cardio work, but I'm thinking the Ourys might just stay on permanently.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ESI Chunky for me right now. Like them alot, but thinking of going GA1. I want to replace brake levers and am not thrilled about having to cut my Chunkys off. Thinking I'll go GA1 since they are lock on and get good reviews by those who fight numbness.

If ESI made a Chunky lock on that would be the best. Love the sticky feel of their grips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have used lizard skins, they are lightweight and clamps very well, very grippy.
    they have different diameter only called different models, like peaty, moab, etc.
    I prefer no ergo or funny shapes, just one less thing to adjust for me..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Probably a stupid question, but whats the difference between the small and large in the ergons GA1...Ive got a XL gloves and some numb hands/fingers, so I need to pick something and I dont think my LBS has them to check them out. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast