1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Grips

mtbr member

Grips

I have a basic newbie question regarding grips. My previous bike had what I'll call 'normal' round grips. My new bike has the original OEM grips with the extra pads that stick out for leaning on/support. I find that they slowly slide under the handlebars during my rides so that I'm rotating them back up fairly often.

Is this just because they are blah original OEM grips, and I should upgrade to something a little nicer? Or is there something I can do to make them stop spinning/rotating? I have no issue with them specifically otherwise. Although maybe if I bought nicer grips, then I'd see how much the OEM ones are lacking?

In this case, my bike is my Specialized from my sig.
    2012 Specialized Carve Comp 29
    IMBA Member
    Team J3 :: http://www.ridej3.com

Redcoat
    You could take the grips off and tape (of handle bar variety) along where they go to the end of the handle bar then put them back on.
    This will A) thicken the bar so that when you re-fasten youll be able to go tighter. and B) not be as slippery as bare metal and hold the grip in place.

Had same problem after i did this it never occurred again.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Most peeps use locking grips. They usually cost a little more, but nothing crazy. I use ODI Rogues. They are good for big hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    I'll take a look at the tape option. I know my LBS has some; I also have hockey tape laying around.

I also have big hands, so I may need to look into locking grips as my first upgrade on the bike.
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Get some lock-ons. I like Race Face Snipers but what ever looks good to you. The aggravation they save is worth the price of admission. ($20ish)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    As others have said, lock-on grips are the way to go. Renthal has some new lock-ons that are a one piece design that helps eliminate any potential grip rotation on the bars. They come in 4 different grip compounds to suit different riders. I just got a set of the kevlars and they are fantastic. Universal Cycles has them.

mtbr member
    Take them off, spray a nice layer of cheap hairspray on the bar, slide grip back on & wait 24 hours(the hardest part!). They shouldn't move one iota since cheap hs is like a spray adhesive.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Take them off, spray a nice layer of cheap hairspray on the bar, slide grip back on & wait 24 hours(the hardest part!). They shouldn't move one iota since cheap hs is like a spray adhesive.
    +1. Take off is just as easy, I usually spray some water to loosen the grip a bit and use air compressor to blow the grip out.

mtbr member
    I did see somewhere mention the hairspray idea, but I wasn't sure about spraying something adhesive like on the handlebars in case the grips stuck or pulled off paint.
    IMBA Member

Redcoat
    If you like those grips on there mate just use the taping option, unless you want to buy another pair like the others mentioned. its just a case of friction or lack of in this case.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    If you're planning on breaking/changing stuff on your bars, I'd do lock ons, but otherwise I'm an Oury fan--also excellent for big hands.

They recommend a glue for Ourys, I couldn't imagine needing it unless you like riding in the wet a lot.

mtbr member
    Is there specific terminology for the different grips. You have the 'regular' grips, and then you have these which give you more support:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...t/rp-prod63927

But I don't see a term that designates one or the other.
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

RE: Grips

Tape...locking mechanisms...hairspray... Nah, do it right and safety wire them. If it's good enough for motocrossers jumping 80-foot triples and dirt trackers sliding inches apart four wide at 90mph, it's good enough for you.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    So I stopped by my LBS on the way home, and they had some Ergon GP1-L grips in stock, so I picked them up. Lock on style with the ergonomic support I like. Thanks to everyone for the help today!
    IMBA Member