1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Grip Shift or Trigger? NOOB Help

OK so I have been riding my Wally World special for long enough to know I want to upgrade.

My bike has Grip shifters on it and they work well, I will be getting a Revel 1 next month (but I will be upgrading the fork thru Suntour) it has trigger shifters. I do not have much experience with them, all my bike in the past have just had the levers you move up and down.

I plan to try it stock for a while but are Grip Shifters as good Trigger shifters?

I do not see to many bike at the bike shops with Grip Shifters, but just about all the bikes at the big box stores have them.

Thanks

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    In my honest assessment - BETTER. Where else can you go from the 34t cassette cog to 11t in ONE TWIST? Comparatively, with triggers....pushing that "button" 8-9 times makes it 3x slower. Plus, grip shift is much lighter and simpler. Ever have a trigger jam up on you? If you ever took a trigger shifter apart - you basically rendered it USELESS.

Ok, I will STOP HERE....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    I like triggers, others like chocolate. Most likely they'll shift a kazillion times better then the crappy wally world ones, give them a few months and make your own judgements.

mtbr member
    I like trigger myself. Trigger I feel like is instant. Push, then it's on the next cog. Grip shift, there are some higher end ones, like the XO. Which would probably be overkill for the Revel (in my opinion, it's still a good bike for the price!). So yes, I'm sure some grip shifters are better than trigger, or the same, but I just like the feel of trigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I like triggers, others like chocolate.
    I like trigger shifters and chocolate, the dark stuff. I've never liked grip shifters. In my experience, which is limited, I found them to jam easier as dirt and sweat creep into the grip mechanism easier than the triggers. I've also found that I shifted sometimes when clearing a log or landing from a small drop. Certainly, grips have a cleaner look and will probably survive a crash better. I just found it works better for me to have the shifters and grip separate.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Ever have a trigger jam up on you?
    No, I havent.

If you ever took a trigger shifter apart - you basically rendered it USELESS.
    Why would you need to take a shifter apart?

Now I haven't had experience with a quality grip shifter (just the cheap ones that come on dept. store bikes), so I can't really make a fair comparison. But, you'll probably get used to whatever you end up with.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member

Re: Grip Shift or Trigger? NOOB Help

I have xo grip shifters on my epic and I absolutely love them! I can dump every gear with one turn on the front or back and have had zero problems out of them. Plus if the front deraileur is dragging the chain it can be fine tuned with a slight twist. I will never go back to trigger shifters.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like trigger shifters, and I'm not a big fan of chocolate. I mean, I'll eat the stuff; it just doesn't get me all excited. . .

But anyway, I'd definitely give trigger shifters a try before you decide. I've only used grip shifters once, and although being able to shift through that many gears that quickly was really cool, I feel like I have more control of my shifting with triggers, and I also had the tendency to shift with the grips when I really didn't want to. . .but like I said, I only used them once.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have several iterations of both, and I'm probably a little partial to the grip shifters. I have XXL hands, and the ergonomics of triggers, with respect to where I have to have them rotated to accommodate my brake lever position, are not a great fit because I find myself pushing down on the triggers rather than forward/backward as I believe they are designed to be for people that don't have oversized meat hooks for hands. That said, once I get them placed on the handlebar in a position that works best for me, I easily ride using either one.

You get used to the little nuances of how to use them so they shift precisely and then just go ride.

mtbr member
    They both work fine. I used to hate grip shift but started using it about 10 years ago and actually started to like it. Solid shifts with no real issues. Light as well. I also liked the fact that I could really get a fine level of control over my front derailleur. Only think about grip shift is that cable condition and quality is important. Grip shift with full length housing and Gore-Tex cables is like butter. Just really nice.

With that said, grip shift does not play well with dropper post controls and the like, so I am actually thinking of going back to triggers!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

29ers Forever
    In my experience, I prefer Trigger shift over Grip shift because it is easier to accidentally shif down or up with a grip shift by moving the position of your hand than by trigger shift. Because the shifter is integrated into where you rest your hand, you might slip and shift up accidentally and then have to push the bike up the rest of the hill. Also, in my mind, Grip Shift reminds me of Junky Kmart bike more than anything, even if the grip shift is on a $13,000 XC racing Carbon Fiber bike.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Also, in my mind, Grip Shift reminds me of Junky Kmart bike more than anything, even if the grip shift is on a $13,000 XC racing Carbon Fiber bike.
    Yep. Trigger shifters just look cooler too.

mtbr member
    Screw shifters get a fixie!!! I have both and I am partial to both. I have triggers on my race bike and grip shift on my leisure bike. The triggers are a lot better when you are racing or in muddy terrain in my opinion. If your hands are muddy and slipping forward and back on bars your gears are going to be everywhere. But when I take out my Jamis Explorer 2 cruiser with the wife I don't mind the grip twist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pnelson112 View Post
    Screw shifters get a fixie!!!
    Do you really mean fixie or do you mean SS? There are some that can pull it off, but they are certainly more bada$$ than me. I wouldn't ride fixie outside of the velodrome, much less offroad.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Personal preference. The only way to know is to try both.

I currently have XT 10spd shifters which are my favorites. I've also had X0 grip shift, and they would be second place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I like triggers, others like chocolate. Most likely they'll shift a kazillion times better then the crappy wally world ones, give them a few months and make your own judgements.
    Triggers FTW!!

Re: Grip Shift or Trigger? NOOB Help

Personal preference, but I just switched over to the SRAM XO 10 speed grip shift and wouldn't go back to trigger. Shifting is so much faster and you can grab 5 gears quickly if you need to. The whole "accidental shift" BS that always gets brought up is just that... BS. It's a dated excuse from 10 years ago when grip shifts werent great. I have them on my fat bike and now on my full suspension 29 and have never had one single mis-shift.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just upgraded my old 9 speed drivetrain to new 9 speed and switched from shimano triggers to SRAM gripshifts about 2 months ago. I mainly switched because X0 gripshifts were $60 and I just wanted to try them. They work just fine and I've never ghost shifted. I think that is just a way overblown or ancient cheap gripshit history. Being able to trim the front derailleur is the best feature imo. Are they better than triggers? Think it just comes down the personal preference. Me I don't really care.

One of my friends is like CannondaleF9 and can't get over that the cheap department store bikes have gripshifts even though just as many have trigger shifters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Personally I prefer triggers. I have grip shifters on my old raleigh and I don't like them. They seem slow to me. I would like to put Triggers on my bike. I just haven't done it yet.
    I have never had a problem with "ghost" shifting. They seem to work fine I just prefer the trigger type.