1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: greetings

mtbr member

greetings

Greetings my friends,

I posted this in the Arizona section and will probably post it in the 29'er section as these sections will most likely be where I'm active. If duplicate threads are frowned upon I apologize in advance.

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. A little about myself- my name's Will, I work as a Firefighter in the Tucson area, and started mountain biking about a year ago. I've pretty much only biked in the Tucson area on a horrible HT $300 bike. I went to Crested Butte, Co and Demo'd a FS Kona Hie Hie and really enjoyed the full suspension and pretty much every other component on the bike. I think it's about time to buy a decent bike that I enjoy riding.

I know I'm new but a little advice from fellow mountain bikers would be much appreciated. I'm looking for a cross country full suspension bike that will last a long time in the price range of around $3000. I'm 6'4 so I would really like ti to be a full suspension and a 29'er. I was looking at the specialized FSR comp or the kona hei hei.

Any feedback would be much appreciated and I look forward to becoming an active community member and hope to see you all on the trails.

Be Safe.

Redcoat
    I think with a budget like that you can get something very decent but also you have a wide variety to choose from. Your best bet is to get down your local bike shop(s) and demo demo demo. We could all sit an tell you the ins and outs, goods and bads of a variety of bikes but at the end of the day its about what you like and how the bike fits you. Your height doesnt neccessarily mean you should get a 29er either. Make sure you try everything out before you buy it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I bought a Hei Hei recently. I'm enjoying it so far. "FSR comp" is meaningless to me - "FSR" is an acronym Specialized attaches to a few of their bikes. Which one were you looking at?

FWIW, I've been pleasantly surprised by my climbing speed on the new hotness. I expected it to make me faster on descents, but I'm knocking a little time off on most singletrack climbs too, according to Strava. So I'd say it does a good job as a XC bike. The Specialized Camber I demoed earlier was also a bit faster on climbs than my 26" hardtail, just for the sake of not pimping my new bike or my sponsor (shop, not the brand, but the shop's only high-end mountain bikes are Kona) too much.

I asked my teammates for some feedback about the Hei Hei. One has been on a previous-generation model for a few years and hasn't had any problems with the linkage. Hopefully that's representative.

FWIW, the only thing you really need to match to your height is the size of the bike's cockpit. But I am fond of the larger wheel size, and for the trails I'm on now, I think FS is pretty cool too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I bought a Hei Hei recently. I'm enjoying it so far. "FSR comp" is meaningless to me - "FSR" is an acronym Specialized attaches to a few of their bikes. Which one were you looking at?

FWIW, I've been pleasantly surprised by my climbing speed on the new hotness. I expected it to make me faster on descents, but I'm knocking a little time off on most singletrack climbs too, according to Strava. So I'd say it does a good job as a XC bike. The Specialized Camber I demoed earlier was also a bit faster on climbs than my 26" hardtail, just for the sake of not pimping my new bike or my sponsor (shop, not the brand, but the shop's only high-end mountain bikes are Kona) too much.

I asked my teammates for some feedback about the Hei Hei. One has been on a previous-generation model for a few years and hasn't had any problems with the linkage. Hopefully that's representative.

FWIW, the only thing you really need to match to your height is the size of the bike's cockpit. But I am fond of the larger wheel size, and for the trails I'm on now, I think FS is pretty cool too.
    Thanks for your input brother. The one thing I did notice while demoing the Hei Hei was the time it took to switch gears, seems like it took a little to long for a bike of that caliber. Have you noticed this?
    never know what youre going to find on an exploration what the sky is like what the trail is like thats why were exploring

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you know how to adjust a bicycle drivetrain?

The '13 Hei Heis all have SRAM drivetrains. I prefer Shimano, but correctly tuned, the difference is miniscule. And I have to say, while I could shift a couple gears at a time with my old LX shifters, the throw on the shifters on the Hei Hei DL is a bit shorter, which is nice, and makes that kind of thing easier.

If it bothers you, at least some of the '14 Hei Heis have Shimano. I may have experienced a pang of buyer's remorse, but September is probably the single best riding month around here and I'll be doing those rides on my new bike. So I think I'll live.

Anyway, you should let whoever lent you the bike know that it's shifting a little slow so they can catch up on their maintenance.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx