1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Greetings

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Greetings

Proud owner of a TREK. Year/unknown, size/unknown. I do know I bought this bike 20 plus years ago. I have recently got the bike out of storage and I'm planning on using it to continue to loose weight. I, unfortunatly, got up to a unhealthy weight of 345lbs and after many months of treadmill work I am down to 270lbs. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and I will be able to ride outside and continue with my weightloss. Wish me luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good Luck! Welcome to the board. I to am on the weight loss path I started riding in January at 308lbs and am currently at 260lbs. My endurance was terrible in the beginning, but after only a couple month I can get out on 10-12 mile rides pretty easy. Stick with it you'll find lots of support in the Clydesdale Forum!

mtbr member
    Good luck and welcome.
    Post a pic of the bike and I'm sure we can name the year make and model for ya. Does it have a suspension fork?
    Round and round we go

No Stranger to danger....
    Welcome aboard mate, youve come to the right place, great effort your making, congrats, pop in the the clydes sub forum here theres some fantastic threads written by guys doing exactly what you are, it will be a wealth of knowledge in there for you, cheers n good luck.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    TheMeat, no suspenton fork. I'm going to take it to my local bike shop today to have it gone through. I know I'll be needing new tires and possibly new cables for the gears. This one still has the controls on the down tube. I bought it used from a fellow I used to work with 20 plus years ago. I'm also going to make sure it's sized right for me. I'm 6'2 and it does seem a little awkward while I'm on the bike. Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to burning some calories.

mtbr member
    With no suspension you might wanna consider going with real big tires, at least on front.
    FWIW, I'm glad you're out there enjoying, and there's no substitute for the improvements exercise can bring, but it's much easier and faster to control calories with diet rather than exercise because you can eat in a few minutes what it could take hours to burn away.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I do understand the dieting part as well. I've been on one since November of last year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Update on my bike. Like I said, it is a Trek but I found out it is a 400 and it was made between 1983 and 1986. It is currently in the shop getting new tires and cables and a tune up. Can't wait to get it on the road again.